PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

70XR7
05-07-2016, 06:10 PM
70 351c turns but won't kick over. New battery, and the distributor is getting power. I know she has gas. Should I try spraying right into the carb?
Fml
Thanks guys.

fast Ed
05-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Distributor is getting power, but have you checked for juice at the spark plugs? If that's OK, then yes try some fuel down the carb to see if it kicks.

cheers
Ed

Rino
05-07-2016, 08:42 PM
also timing if it has been messed with.

ZR
05-07-2016, 09:05 PM
+1 on Ed's suggestion, just a squirt though.

70XR7
05-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Alright.. so I dripped some gas right into the carb.. she sputtered briefly when I tried to turn her. I could repeat this a few times..So yeah.. it's not getting gas.
I have a buddy with a fuel pressure gauge that's coming by tonight. I'm hoping it's just the fuel pump and not the carb itself..

baddbullitt
05-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Have you checked the air in the tires lately?? LOL (only Cheech and Chong album listeners will get this) lol Sorry, had to say it!!! Hope you get er fired up soon though!!! :D

r-model
05-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Mechanical fuel pump I would assume?? Did you change the filter? do you have enough gas in the tank?

70XR7
05-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Mechanical fuel pump I would assume?? Did you change the filter? do you have enough gas in the tank?

Yeah.. Mechanical.
Gas was topped up before I parked her last fall. I put in some fuel stabilizer as well, so it shouldn't be the gas quality.
Filter hasn't been changed in a while though; not sure of its condition.
Good point though. Just looked it up.. looks like a Fram #G22A fuel filter. 9 bucks.
might be worth a swap.
I've never actually changed one. Does it require bleeding after changing it?

jay ward
05-10-2016, 09:16 AM
If it has the little gold fuel filter on the gas line at the carb try tapping it on a table and blowing air thru it to get the crud out. Continuous prob on my 68 til i put a new gas tank in. Gas shouldnt pour out if its not getting any. Those cougars are killer cars!

70XR7
05-10-2016, 10:04 AM
If it has the little gold fuel filter on the gas line at the carb try tapping it on a table and blowing air thru it to get the crud out. Continuous prob on my 68 til i put a new gas tank in. Gas shouldnt pour out if its not getting any. Those cougars are killer cars!

Thanks bud.
I wonder if my tank's corroding at all..
I'll check out the filter tonight.

r-model
05-10-2016, 10:21 AM
It might leak a little, have a couple of shop rags handy to absorb any spillage, some times your fuel bowls in the carb go dry over storage

70XR7
05-26-2016, 08:15 AM
Update and question:
So we changed up the fuel pump for a new one. she fit well, but the car still wouldn't come to life.
Despite specifically remembering putting gas in before parking in October, a knock on the tank made it sound quite empty... so I filled a jerry can and added it to the tank.
still nothing.
turns out the fuel pump itself isn't getting gas... so i'm not sure what's up.
between the pump and the tank, there's only the fuel line itself, right? is there anything else between the two that could be causing an issue?
if it is just the fuel line, then maybe it just needs bleeding/siphoning?

Edit:
Basically, is there a way to prime the pump?

ZR
05-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Odd time peeps put a filter between the pump and the tank. With gas cap off, did you try blowing backwards? Was it jacked up while sitting? If so, possible a line got crushed.

r-model
05-26-2016, 08:31 AM
Motor is not spinning fast enough for the pump to pull fuel, add a half capfull (from a spray can) into the carb, ignition on, use screwdriver on starter solenoid to start (if you don't have anyone there to help). Car will start and run for a bit, you might have to do this a couple of times. If you want I can come over and help

ZR
05-26-2016, 08:33 AM
Alright.. so I dripped some gas right into the carb.. she sputtered briefly when I tried to turn her. I could repeat this a few times..So yeah.. it's not getting gas.
I have a buddy with a fuel pressure gauge that's coming by tonight. I'm hoping it's just the fuel pump and not the carb itself..

Tried with original pump, assume he tried with new one.

70XR7
05-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Thanks to Mike for getting it started and a handful of useful advice.
Turns out I wasn't pouring enough gas into the primaries.
What beer do you drink, r-model? I owe you at least that.

r-model
05-30-2016, 07:52 AM
don't worry about it, I don't drink, have a car to mod! lol

RedSN
05-30-2016, 09:22 AM
^^^it helps with the modding.
downside is everything takes 5X longer.

Congrats getting the Cat purring.
Kudos to r-model :clap2:

Frankie
05-30-2016, 12:25 PM
^^^makes test driving when you're done a little tricky too!

Congrats!

Spock
05-31-2016, 07:09 PM
Great car!
I learned to drive in a 70 Eliminator
My dad was so pissed when I borrowed it one night & came back with no tread left on the tire's!
I've been tried to make up to him ever since.

70XR7
06-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Great car!
I learned to drive in a 70 Eliminator
My dad was so pissed when I borrowed it one night & came back with no tread left on the tire's!
I've been tried to make up to him ever since.

Jealous!
I've never driven an Eliminator. I've sat behind the wheel of a 351 4v, but it was parked.
For years I thought i'd love to get one, but then realized that I'd feel guilty as hell modding it on any level. A classic car of that caliber and rarity should be left stock; a lot are 1 of 1 after considering the options, being only just over 2000 made in 1970.
One day i'll drive one, i'm sure!
Until then, i'll mod the shit out of this ol' XR7. It's only 1 of 8, and just because of the purchased tire option.

70XR7
06-28-2016, 09:09 AM
So after Mike came by and got her started, there was that bad fuel leak. I got her up on ramps a few days later and tried tightening the connection where it was leaking.
That didn't work out well. You can say I overtorqued just a tad.

I had to order a new Fuel pump. You can see how I broke off the nozzle and bent the actual unit.

So I got it up and running with the help of a buddy, just before I had to go to Windsor for a few days on business.
So now she's running great!
Took her out to her first meetup this Sunday; found an original 67 to park next to :)