PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system upgrade

maxwell6
06-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Upgrading fuel system,seems my present system keeps killing pumps. 03 Cobra tank with 2 340 lph pumps with Kenne Bell BAP. When I go WOT it leens out pretty bad, i think having only 1 fpdm is not enough for the 2 pumps and over heating. So im going with WMS dual fuel pump driver module. 2 new improved gt supercar pumps. Im hoping this works for around 500 rwhp. Or do I definitely need a return fuel system. Any advice on this would be appreciated thanks.

Speedtospare
06-13-2016, 06:04 PM
A single 340 lph pump should supply enough fuel for 500 whp with the stock 39 lb injector. Why do you need a BAP with two pumps? (is it a returnless cobra thing?) Stock fuel lines are big enough to supply 580 whp with twin 340's. After 580 who you should be switching to at least -6AN lines because the lines become the restriction. The the limit we hit on a built 4.6 4V Mach with a JT trim vortech. Bigger pumps increase how much fuel can be pushed though the same lines.

Are the Aeromotive 340lph's ok to use in a returnless setup?

Speedtospare
06-13-2016, 06:17 PM
looked it up. 340 lph pumps are not for returnless systems.

6.) Q: My car was manufactured after 1999 and came equipped with a “return-less” fuel system, will the 340 Stealth Pump work with factory fuel systems like this?

A: The Aeromotive Stealth 340 Pump is typically not listed as compatible with OEM returnless fuel systems, for good reason. The advent of the “returnless” fuel system, introduced by the OEM for passenger cars in 1999, was created in response to new, more stringent EPA, EEC (evaporative emissions control) regulations which took effect in that year. That a system would be classified as “returnless” does not necessarily mean that it does not have a bypass style regulator, only that the regulator is before the engine, perhaps on the frame rail or even in the tank. In fact even the most sophisticated “returnless” systems from Ford Motor Company, where the speed of the pump is extensively varied to control pressure, have integral bypass mechanisms that promote flow through the pump’s electric motor for cooling purposes.

What is most important to understand is that today’s “returnless” systems are extensively engineered as a system and very finely balanced, including intricate confinement reservoirs in which the pump is fitted, siphon-jet pumps that are used to transfer fuel within the tank(s) and into the reservoir (and which are often fed from special ports in the OEM pump), integral remote regulators in the tank or reservoir and sophisticated electronics, all of which must work together to provide fuel tank level, fuel pump flow, and pressure, necessary to meet the factory engine’s torque and horsepower production. Of course, all of these fuel system components are engineered around the OEM pump and its flow, pressure and current draw characteristics.

Installation of a fuel pump like the 340 Stealth into today’s “returnless” systems, when you consider that it flows 2-3 times as much volume, draws 2-3 times as much current and is not necessarily the exact size and configuration of the pump it replaces, will very probably throw the OEM fuel system substantially out of balance, and if run for any length of time, may very well damage either the fuel system components or the 340 Stealth Pump itself.

Modifications can be made to the OEM “returnless” fuel system, to the various hydraulic components and electrical supply, to incorporate such a 340 Stealth Pump, and it has been done successfully and with amazing results, BUT, it truly requires re-engineering much of the OEM fuel system components and controls, and is not something the average enthusiast will be capable of handling on their own. For this reason you won’t find recommendations for the 340 Stealth pump to be used in returnless fuel systems in Aeromotive’s application guide.

Speedtospare
06-13-2016, 06:23 PM
I would go with twin Walbro F10000302 which are the improved GT pumps 250lph and are for the returnless system in your car. Use that with a BAP. Make sure you upgrade the wiring if its a single feed.

ZR
06-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Upgrading fuel system,seems my present system keeps killing pumps. 03 Cobra tank with 2 340 lph pumps with Kenne Bell BAP. When I go WOT it leens out pretty bad, i think having only 1 fpdm is not enough for the 2 pumps and over heating. So im going with WMS dual fuel pump driver module. 2 new improved gt supercar pumps. Im hoping this works for around 500 rwhp. Or do I definitely need a return fuel system. Any advice on this would be appreciated thanks.

Dual FPDM = must have
Dual Supercar pumps = more than up to the task
You do not need a return system.
You will not need a boost a pump or similar.
Stock rails n fuel lines are also fine.

maxwell6
06-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the replies I am going with the Walbro improved supercar pumps,dual fpdm,wiring upgrade. ZR you are saying I dont need the bap, thats good to hear i would rather not run it. My set up is 2002 2v Vortec sc, 42# injectors,forged bottom end,ported heads,03 cobra tank.

ZR
06-14-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm running similar set up with Billet Fore Hat, dual Supercar pumps, dual FPDMs and wiring kit finished off with custom line and filter plugged into the stock fuel lines. Only advantage to mine is the larger wiring from the FPDMs to the pumps. At my current power level, fuel system is not even breaking a sweat to keep up.
All pumps used must be confirmed as compatible with returnless system, standard pumps can not be used / will not stand up, unless you convert to return.

ZR
06-14-2016, 08:25 AM
The fuel pump booster from JMS is proving to be a very reliable option to the KB boost a pump.

The new JMS PowerMAX® line of voltage boosters features exclusive JMS digital technology and is designed to provide up to an 85% increase in fuel delivery, spark delivery, intercooler pump efficiency, and cooling fan output. The newly revised voltage booster is pre-engineered for use on a wide range of vehicle types.

The JMS PowerMAX® provides the highest continuous voltage and amperage output without noise, and is available in true 40-amp and 80-amp input fuse configurations. Another industry first includes the ability to choose how to enable the FuelMAX V2 and SparkMAX V2 units voltage-boosting output. Two versions are available; one version activates the device via a built-in internal boost pressure sensor (1-29psi), and the other activates the boosted output via a Ground or a monitored 1-5-volt external signal (MAP, TPS or PPS sensor signal). The new device activation options allow you to choose the device that works best for your specific vehicle installation. CoolMAX V2 and FanMAX V2 activate the boosted output via a Ground or a monitored 1-5-volt external signal (MAP, TPS or PPS sensor signal).

JMS was the first company to produce a plug and play fuel pump voltage booster for the Mustang, Shelby GT500 and SVT Raptor, and their new PowerMAX®FuelMAX V2 unit carries that innovation even further. For users that want the ultimate in easy installation, choose the new PPS plug and play option that activates PowerMAX® V2 via monitoring the pedal position sensor (PPS). This option eliminates running wires through the firewall altogether. Also available is a universal device that is easy to wire in, just cut and splice a single wire.

The recently updated PowerMAX® has an all new proprietary enclosure and industrial heat-sink, featuring 10 gauge heavy-duty wiring and either 40 or 80 amp fuses along with a host of new and innovative features to further improve the user experience. The maximum output voltage range is user selectable and is controlled by a knob in the faceplate, or via the optional in-cabin over-ride control knob that adjusts voltage on the fly.

JMS is the only company to offer user-adjustable voltage ramp in and ramp out rates. This feature allows the user to correct and eliminate fuel pressure spikes that occur when fuel pump voltage is rapidly increased or decreased. You now have maximum control over the voltage ramp-in and ramp-out rate and depending on model, voltage can be controlled via time or boost pressure or it can be controlled via time or monitored voltage, and it's easy to setup via simple to use knobs and switches.

JMS PowerMAX® Voltage Booster Kits are shipped complete with everything you need for installation. Included in the kits; PowerMAX® device, heavy-duty OEM-grade wiring harness, user adjustable Hobbs pressure switch, 1/8" NPT adaptor fitting, wiring terminals, wire splices and heat shrink, solder, vacuum line and tees, mounting hardware, and 40 amp fuses. Internal boost kits include vacuum line, and the plug and play pedal position sensor kits include a pre-engineered harness with OEM-type connectors.