PDA

View Full Version : Light Bar Woes

Snaketamer
06-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding the light bar in my '98 cobra 'vert. It seems the mounting hardware has loosened off/broke. When I try to tighten the allen head bolts, the crimp nuts just spin. I've removed the rear seat, speaker cover and quarter panel(well as far as it will go as the light bar is still in place). FUBAR'd... :mad-new: can't tighten and can't removed as there is no access to the crimp nuts short of cutting out the quarter panel. Then...where to get new panels....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Ponyryd
06-26-2016, 10:47 PM
Can you lift the bar at all to put tension on it? If you can get some upward pressure the nuts should lock and allow you to remove the bolts, much easier if you use an impact gun, even a little electric 1/4" nut driver like a dewalt or Milwaukee should do the trick.

Spock
06-27-2016, 06:31 AM
drill the allen head bolts out

ZR
06-27-2016, 06:39 AM
Try impact first, drill is last resort.

Laffs
06-27-2016, 09:32 AM
You trying to remove the bar permanently or just remove and replace the broken hardware?

Snaketamer
06-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions....tried impact/drill and trying to move the light bar so it will bind the crimp nuts. Guess my next move is to cut the heads of the allen screws off. Would like to just get the bar out so I can replace the hardware or tack the crimp nuts in place with the mig.

Was really pissed just trying to get the back seat out...a 'professional' shop did the install and just heaved on the seat damaging the release mechanisms making them totally useless. It's a real PIA trying to remove the screws from the mechanism with the seat in place...lol

Spock
06-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Use a small drill bit & drill just down the center of the screw to weaken it enough to break the head off

Snaketamer
07-04-2016, 05:24 PM
First official day of vacation and time to get the light bar done. Anywho...managed to get the allen head bolts out with some Mcgyver'n around. Didn't have to cut the bolts after all.

Found out the 'professionals' who installed the bar put the mounting brackets in backwards. This caused the nuts to pull off the bracket. So I tack welded the nuts back on the bracket as they were not as snug as originally when new...and re-installed the light bar. Wish the job would have been done right in the first place and saved me a wasted day repairing their work.

So nice to drive around town without the bar rattling and driving me bat shit crazy...specially with our smooth roads up here in the 'Bay.

Screw
07-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Glad you got that sorted out with no unnecessary damage , must be nice up there in the summer

CON VERT
07-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Glad you got it sorted out, I am pulling mine in a few days for some stereo work and need to access the speakers in the back panels, hope mine is not a bitch to come out !

Snaketamer
07-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Glad you got that sorted out with no unnecessary damage , must be nice up there in the summer
Well...kinda gotta keep the top up right now...it's shadfly season...eww
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIwpPKFWwAEgRq1.jpg

Glad you got it sorted out, I am pulling mine in a few days for some stereo work and need to access the speakers in the back panels, hope mine is not a bitch to come out !

Good luck, Glen...sure yours won't be as fubar'd as mine was...

CON VERT
07-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks Greg & BTW Please get rid of the bugs ! heading up North in a few weeks !

RedSN
07-05-2016, 04:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIwpPKFWwAEgRq1.jpg

took me a while to figure out what I was looking at in that pic.

You need a flame thrower ....like this guy vvv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykb6JoxJgNU

Was really pissed just trying to get the back seat out...a 'professional' shop did the install and just heaved on the seat damaging the release mechanisms making them totally useless. It's a real PIA trying to remove the screws from the mechanism with the seat in place...lol
Those seat release clips are crap! I couldn't get mine to release either. Super PITA.

ZR
07-05-2016, 05:07 PM
First official day of vacation and time to get the light bar done. Anywho...managed to get the allen head bolts out with some Mcgyver'n around. Didn't have to cut the bolts after all.

Found out the 'professionals' who installed the bar put the mounting brackets in backwards. This caused the nuts to pull off the bracket. So I tack welded the nuts back on the bracket as they were not as snug as originally when new...and re-installed the light bar. Wish the job would have been done right in the first place and saved me a wasted day repairing their work.

So nice to drive around town without the bar rattling and driving me bat shit crazy...specially with our smooth roads up here in the 'Bay.

Nicely done Sir.