PDA

View Full Version : brakes applying themselves

Dutch
07-07-2016, 04:20 PM
so i converted my 80 to 5 lug swap with drums in the rear. when car is hot the brakes apply a bit causing car not to roll as free as it should with a little smell. when i got home i jacked the front of the car up and tried to spin the wheel by hand it had alot of resistance. I let it cool off and the wheels spun freely like it should. i have the 87 booster, could it be the pushrod length be too far and whenit all heats up causing this issue?? all the pads rotors and calipers are new.

thx

ZR
07-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Push rod length has to be correct, if you didn't measure at install, best back up and confirm now.

Ponyryd
07-07-2016, 10:53 PM
When it happens again crack the bleeders on the suspected sticky brakes, if it turns free after that the issue is from the lines up, if not it's a caliper problem. Those PBR calipers fail often and cause brake drag when hot.

Dutch
07-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Ok it did this before. When I installed the the 87 spindle and brakes before the 5 lug I drove it back from the shop after they plumbed up the lines and bled the brakes. I wanted a firm pedal feel so he adjusted the push rod out to give the feel. But I didnt make it home. The front brakes locked right up and would not let the car move. So I called the shop and he came over and loosened up the pushrod then it was perfect. Now with the five lug, same booster and master and did not touch the pushrod. Thinking thats the problem.

Ponyryd
07-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Could very well be, in which case confirming that suspicion would be very easy, when it's sticking just loosen the two bolts on the master cylinder and se if it frees up

Dutch
07-09-2016, 09:54 AM
I backed out the pushrod one full turn and took her fir a good rip and all seems to be fine. Fingers crossed

Dutch
07-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Yup still good. Think I got it licked