PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Mach 1 Exhaust Delemma :(

Harbinger
07-23-2016, 01:19 PM
I'm torn between putting Flowmaster american thunder cat backs or Bassani cat back exhaust.
Flowmaster is cheaper, bassani is more expensive.

What do you folks think?
Are Flowmasters over done? Boring? Redundant in the industry?

Are bassanis too exotic sounding? Will they sound good with a 4v mach 1?

Ponyryd
07-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Bassani a sound sick, never heard them on a Mach but I'm sure it would sound great. I don't like flows at all.

Stephen06GT
07-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Send a PM to GhostRider. If anyone knows about Mach1 exhaust systems it's Dave.

Harbinger
07-23-2016, 01:59 PM
I think Dave has SLPs. I really dislike SLPs as I've had them on my GT. Nothing will make me go back to that cat back system.

Send a PM to GhostRider. If anyone knows about Mach1 exhaust systems it's Dave.

Ponyryd
07-23-2016, 02:35 PM
I was gonna say SLP but it wasn't an option listed, lol. I like loud.

ZR
07-23-2016, 04:10 PM
I've now had several systems on the Cobra, Flowmaster is my favorite combined with a catted X pipe.

True Blue
07-23-2016, 04:44 PM
What about Magnaflow Magnapacks?

ZR
07-23-2016, 04:46 PM
I had standard Maggy's, hated the flippin drone. Flowmaster is tame enough when your just cruising with virtually zero drone but come on nice when you squeeze hard. Not at all like old skool Flows at all.
SLP LM1's, way too loud under boost.

Harbinger
07-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Will see what the price comes to next week. Im leaning towards flowmaster because its cheaper plus its part of the da silva no tax deal. Ill save at least 400 bucks going with flowmasters but im still deciding.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ponyryd
07-23-2016, 05:52 PM
Unless you actually need a catback Why not just weld in some flows?, will be the cheapest option, plus unless you have other mods you won't gain much if anything with a catback, not to mention if it's a standard flowmaster system (I know they offer stainless but it's a lot more money) it's probably just steel and will rot away before the factory system.

Harbinger
07-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Unless you actually need a catback Why not just weld in some flows?, will be the cheapest option, plus unless you have other mods you won't gain much if anything with a catback, not to mention if it's a standard flowmaster system (I know they offer stainless but it's a lot more money) it's probably just steel and will rot away before the factory system.
Too much cutting. I want to keep the stock as whole as possible. Ill get the underside coated so itll mininize rust

Ponyryd
07-23-2016, 06:32 PM
Gotcha, but the stock system will need to be cut to come out anyway, unless you drop the rearend out.
I've always like spin tech if that interests you at all. You can buy mufflers and flow tubes and have them mated to your stock tails for fairly cheap, just another option is all.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/ford/mustang/mustang-cat-backs/mt6196634-pro-street-2-1/2-39-96-39-04/prod_507.html

Harbinger
07-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Not sure about this company and have never heard of them until you mentioned them. I'm narrowing it down to the bassani vs flowmaster. I'll give it some heavy thought before making a decision. Worst case I have to sell the exhaust and lose a couple of bucks.

Gotcha, but the stock system will need to be cut to come out anyway, unless you drop the rearend out.
I've always like spin tech if that interests you at all. You can buy mufflers and flow tubes and have them mated to your stock tails for fairly cheap, just another option is all.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/ford/mustang/mustang-cat-backs/mt6196634-pro-street-2-1/2-39-96-39-04/prod_507.html

Ponyryd
07-23-2016, 10:43 PM
There's lots of soundclips on YouTube, I even found some with spintechs, just tough to tell if they have stock exhaust otherwise.

Harbinger
07-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Just listened to a a few. Reminds me of a cross between flowmaster and SLPs way too raspy for my liking and too loud. Thanks for the info though

There's lots of soundclips on YouTube, I even found some with spintechs, just tough to tell if they have stock exhaust otherwise.

tulowd
07-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Unl if it's a standard flowmaster system (I know they offer stainless but it's a lot more money) it's probably just steel and will rot away before the factory system.

Sold Flowmaster 2 chambers and Flowmaster tailpipes (purchased new in 1989) when parting out my SVO clone in 2010.. Plain steel and zero rot anywhere. Musta had 300 000 km on them.

To the OP: One often forgotten trick is to use slightly different left and right sized mufflers to reduce drone. The factory did it.

Ponyryd
07-24-2016, 11:41 AM
^Never seen a winter I bet, lol. I've changed tons of flowmaster mufflers due to rot, most under 5 years old according to the customer.

Ponyryd
07-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Just listened to a a few. Reminds me of a cross between flowmaster and SLPs way too raspy for my liking and too loud. Thanks for the info though

Np, just thinking out loud, lol. There were some bassani clips and flow clips too, it helps for sure, just gotta make sure the ones you're comparing are using stock manifolds and h-pipe if that's what you'll be using.
My favourite exhaust on my '88 fox vert was Dynomax ultra-flows, with o/r and shorties, BUT put the stock h-pipe on it and it sounded close to stock, lol.

Harbinger
07-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Np, just thinking out loud, lol. There were some bassani clips and flow clips too, it helps for sure, just gotta make sure the ones you're comparing are using stock manifolds and h-pipe if that's what you'll be using.
My favourite exhaust on my '88 fox vert was Dynomax ultra-flows, with o/r and shorties, BUT put the stock h-pipe on it and it sounded close to stock, lol.
Lol off road is a no no for me. Its all good i got the flow 40s they sound bad ass

hsousa88
07-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Happy with my flowmaster 10's... Loud even with cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baddbullitt
07-26-2016, 09:57 AM
I've now had several systems on the Cobra, Flowmaster is my favorite combined with a catted X pipe.

Now that is a symphony of epic proportion right there!!!

Harbinger
07-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Sounds so good in my mach 1 right now...god I never thought a 4v would sound so manly with flows. Cheers!

Now that is a symphony of epic proportion right there!!!

ZR
07-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Right choice is especially important with an auto.

98 Snake
07-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Long tubes, catted x pipe and flows here. Everyone always wants to hear the exhaust
I also like dyno max super turbos
They are cheaper, flow better then flow masters and are a little quieter with a similar exhaust note

Harbinger
07-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Good to know if I get sick of my flows. :) for now I'm enjoying that low rpm gradual growl.

Long tubes, catted x pipe and flows here. Everyone always wants to hear the exhaust
I also like dyno max super turbos
They are cheaper, flow better then flow masters and are a little quieter with a similar exhaust note

ZR
07-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Another viable option, leave the stock catback and go with a catted X or H pipe. Really enjoyed that combo on my 2000 GT.

90LXCoupe
07-27-2016, 09:01 PM
Was great to meet you and check out your sweet Mach today. Great car Harbinger. Should have had you fire her up before I left!

Harbinger
07-27-2016, 09:51 PM
Haha thanks! It was nice meeting you as well. Your car is badass and mint. Maybe at one of the wing nights ill drop by. I really gotta get on that.

Was great to meet you and check out your sweet Mach today. Great car Harbinger. Should have had you fire her up before I left!

Harbinger
07-27-2016, 10:31 PM
You should hear it with my stock H. Very loud and beautiful.

Another viable option, leave the stock catback and go with a catted X or H pipe. Really enjoyed that combo on my 2000 GT.