PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Mustang - 12V outlet is always on...

allicedout
08-09-2016, 11:24 AM
So I'm going to purchase a Blackvue dashcam for the Mustang and notice that the 12v has always got power. That being said I've read that there's a meter on the circuit that cuts power if too much is drawn after the key is turned off to protect the battery's charge. Can anyone verify this, I can't seem to find any supporting information.

Thanks!

Scrape
08-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Yes sir it is always on. I had a dash cam hooked up on my Stang before and it was always on and recording. I had to unplug it to turn it off to be safe.

newbiestangowner
08-09-2016, 12:01 PM
can't find supporting docs but I had my gps plugged in when I was at Ricks getting work done and noticed it stayed on the entire time - had to unplug it.

allicedout
08-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Yes sir it is always on. I had a dash cam hooked up on my Stang before and it was always on and recording. I had to unplug it to turn it off to be safe.

can't find supporting docs but I had my gps plugged in when I was at Ricks getting work done and noticed it stayed on the entire time - had to unplug it.

Oh yay!

I wonder if the Blackvue Power Magic Protection switch would help...

BlackVue Power Magic Protection Switch
Model: PMP | SKU: 10394697
Save your battery by ensuring your BlackVue or other dashcam isn't recording while parked with the BlackVue Power Magic battery protection switch. It cuts off the power to your recording device according to the configured voltage.
Multi-booting , simple operation to switch
Prevents discharge of your vehicle's battery
Prevents reboot of black box/navigation
Configure the voltage to cut-off the power
Configure the timer to cut off the power from 6hrs - infinity
Cigar jack connection socket
Suitable for 12V to 24V"

Scrape
08-09-2016, 12:24 PM
From what I am reading there then the answer is yes.

allicedout
08-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Just wanted to make sure I was reading it right! Thanks :thumbsup:

RedSN
08-09-2016, 01:24 PM
If you want the Power Magic, I have one. PM me if interested.

I was going to use it on my old truck (that had constant 12V), but the new truck has a switched 12V.

allicedout
08-09-2016, 02:27 PM
If you want the Power Magic, I have one. PM me if interested.

I was going to use it on my old truck (that had constant 12V), but the new truck has a switched 12V.

Thanks for the offer. The dashcam I'm looking at comes with it, but if I get a better deal on another one without I'll definitely take it.

Old Fart
08-09-2016, 02:39 PM
I just direct wired mine into the system...no issues.

RedSN
08-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Both mine and my wife's are hooked up to switched 12V power, which is nice because when you start up the car it starts recording. And you don't have to remember to turn it off when you park. I used to occasionally record 12 hours of blacked out garage door, LOL.
On the other hand, it was nice to be able to keep the dashcam on while going into the mall or having dinner etc.
Never know what you might catch on the cam ;)

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/LX-Markham/WNNOTC_zpsde197d2e.jpg
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/LX-Markham/TMC/Not4you_zps55243aa6.gif
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/LX-Markham/TMC/Jibster%20Dance_zpsoq2waxxj.gif