View Full Version : Lowered on stock shocks n struts.

ZR
08-22-2016, 09:23 AM
This year, more than ever, we've had mustang after mustang in previously lowered on stock shocks n struts complaining they couldn't take the rough ride anymore. Just like I've told the rest, take that barely adequate for stock springs crap off there and lay down your dough on some quality dampers. Just like Glen was last week, you will be flat out amazed at how much ride and handling you've been giving up............G U A R A N T E E D!
Yes I always put Bilsteins n Koni's (only single / double adjustable) at the top of the heap.

CON VERT
08-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Ding, Ding , Ding ! The good DR has the remedy for ill mannered handling & rough riding lowered cars ! Installed koni adjustable struts up front , difference is like night and day, even the ole gal noticed how much nicer it rode, hard to believe it is the same car ! it's a pleasure to drive, handles bumps ruts etc, cannot wait till I get the rears done ! Thanks ZR for the install & advice.

dbovine
08-22-2016, 11:46 AM
for the Koni (because Bilstiens are expensive) are the STR.T ok? or is it better to have the Adjustable sports?

newbiestangowner
08-22-2016, 11:50 AM
^^ +1 with stock damper change when lowering vehicle

I was restricted budget wise at the the time to do everything at once.I think for some this may be the reason to replace springs only at first.
I just stock piled springs/panhard,c plates till I had enough for the dampers.
Rode 4x4 for the longest time even though I had the lowering springs- glad I waited, when everything was done at the same time and took first drive home from Rick's my first driving impression was " did we even lower it?"

CON VERT
08-22-2016, 11:52 AM
for the Koni (because Bilstiens are expensive) are the STR.T ok? or is it better to have the Adjustable sports?

Koni's price is not for the faint of heart also !

newbiestangowner
08-22-2016, 11:53 AM

str are will be good- know some that run it- it feels like adjustables on its softest setting. and right now I've had the adjustables on its softest setting since install. I'll only adjust it slightly stiffer for track day- ( if I can finally get out to one)

adjustable good to have- do I really need it? will my lazy butt fool around and turn the knobs lol - for the street - I don't think so ;)

ZR
08-22-2016, 12:38 PM
There really is no comparison between the single / dual adjustable sports and the STR.T. If Koni's aren't in the cards, Bilsteins would be my next choice.
Shocks n struts, save until the budget will allow you to buy something you'll be happy with for years to come vs having to replace a second time.

dbovine
08-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Well you know what Im brewing up for my car, and I currently have Roush V6 springs and I am running Stock 5.0 fox body shocks and struts and they arent horrible but on some of the rough roads in the sault or some spirited driving, they are not cutting it. So I plan to overhaul the suspension as well as the drive train when this all goes down

fast Ed
08-22-2016, 08:44 PM
Stock Fox struts and shocks were crap when brand new. I changed them at around 15000 km on my 87 back in the day, swapping in Koni reds which were single adjustable back then, and FRPP 5300-C springs. Even though the front springs were linear rate and much stiffer than the originals, it rode better (and handled way better) than stock.

cheers
Ed

Mustang4
08-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Been running the Bilsteins on my 91 fox ever since I did the suspension and 5 lug brake conversion in 2010 and the car rides great on all roads, very smooth on highways.

ZR
08-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Stock Fox struts and shocks were crap when brand new. I changed them at around 15000 km on my 87 back in the day, swapping in Koni reds which were single adjustable back then, and FRPP 5300-C springs. Even though the front springs were linear rate and much stiffer than the originals, it rode better (and handled way better) than stock.

cheers
Ed

Yes barely adequate when you drove it off the lot.

hsousa88
08-23-2016, 06:38 AM
Very happy with my bilstein/mm springs combo. Pricey but worth it.

Now to convert to coilover.. Someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrape
08-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Coilovers are always a great choice in my mind. H&R, Eibach, KW, Ohlin make some mighty fine products. But just the strut shock upgrade combo Rick mentioned the two best for the money. Eventually I will install the coilover conversion kit from KW for my car since it has Bilstein adjustables on there already and being able to adjust the height is a big bonus for me.

Boomer605
09-01-2016, 09:01 PM
This year, more than ever, we've had mustang after mustang in previously lowered on stock shocks n struts complaining they couldn't take the rough ride anymore. Just like I've told the rest, take that barely adequate for stock springs crap off there and lay down your dough on some quality dampers. Just like Glen was last week, you will be flat out amazed at how much ride and handling you've been giving up............G U A R A N T E E D!
Yes I always put Bilsteins n Koni's (only single / double adjustable) at the top of the heap.

Are we taking Fox bodies in particular, or all body styles? I've got Steeda Sport Springs on my lowered '10 GT with the factory dampers and am happy with the ride. I do wonder whether there would be an improvement by pairing the Steeda springs with Steeda dampers. Any thoughts?

Armen
09-01-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm Eibach pro kit springs and front and rear sways on stock struts and shocks and I'm really happy with the ride and the performance.

Gr8Stang
09-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Installing the Bilsteins all the way around on my 98 Cobra vert tomorrow. Can't wait to feel the difference. Doing the install myself. First time doing so, so if you have any tips ZR, I'm all ears. Looks like a pretty straight forward job. Only thing I was wondering was whether or not the brake Caliper/pads have to come off and....when tightening down the nut on the top of the strut, do you use an impact gun to get it started...then torque it down? Guess I'll also need to take it in for an alignment afterwards?

ZR
09-02-2016, 03:49 AM
Are we taking Fox bodies in particular, or all body styles? I've got Steeda Sport Springs on my lowered '10 GT with the factory dampers and am happy with the ride. I do wonder whether there would be an improvement by pairing the Steeda springs with Steeda dampers. Any thoughts?

Yet to see one that doesn't feel better paired up to new shocks n struts. Would however be interested to hear your feedback if / when you do yours.

ZR
09-02-2016, 03:53 AM
Installing the Bilsteins all the way around on my 98 Cobra vert tomorrow. Can't wait to feel the difference. Doing the install myself. First time doing so, so if you have any tips ZR, I'm all ears. Looks like a pretty straight forward job. Only thing I was wondering was whether or not the brake Caliper/pads have to come off and....when tightening down the nut on the top of the strut, do you use an impact gun to get it started...then torque it down? Guess I'll also need to take it in for an alignment afterwards?

On most, can sneak in around the caliper with a short socket and extension and give it hell with the impact. On some you can't and yes at that point caliper needs to be removed. Tightening top nut on the strut, I run them down by hand with the help of a small wrench to prevent the strut rod from turning. Once snug, give it a single burp with the impact. Tend to do the top on the rears the same way.
On Koni adjustables, must be tightened fully by hand only.

Gr8Stang
09-02-2016, 08:59 AM
On most, can sneak in around the caliper with a short socket and extension and give it hell with the impact. On some you can't and yes at that point caliper needs to be removed. Tightening top nut on the strut, I run them down by hand with the help of a small wrench to prevent the strut rod from turning. Once snug, give it a single burp with the impact. Tend to do the top on the rears the same way.
On Koni adjustables, must be tightened fully by hand only.

Thank you sir! I believe the top of the strut rod also has a torx or hex type hole in it to help keep the rod from turning, so may just use that to do the final tightening. Heard you don't want to spin the rod too much or you could break the seals? Fingers crossed I can get those strut lower bolts off without too much trouble. A little penetrating oil I guess before I get started. :)

Gr8Stang
09-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Got the Bilsteins installed and couldn't be happier. The car was purchased brand new with the Eibach Pro kit lowering springs installed and the stocker struts/shocks. Night and day now with the Bilsteins in there. And good news....didn't have to pull the Caliper off to get at those bolts. Did apply some penetrating oil, but still required some hard hits with the impact gun before they finally broke loose. Only other hassle was in the trunk...getting the cardboard carpeting removed from the top resulted in 2 of 3 broken retaining plastic pins. Also had to make a trip to crappy tire for a 17 mm ratcheting wrench....to get the rear shock top nuts fastened (while using an allen wrench on the top of the shock rod to keep it from turning). Only freaking ratcheting wrench I didn't have!!

ZR
09-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Nicely done.

Boomer605
09-02-2016, 07:53 PM
ZR, If I can improve handling and ride significantly I will certainly put it on my mod list. Clearly you have lots of experience with the changeover and what's available. What would you recommend for replacement dampers for my situation? I have the Steeda Sport springs. Would the Steeda struts and dampers be better matched for their springs or would Koni / Bilstien be a better option?

Screw
09-02-2016, 07:59 PM
I put Koni yellows much improved , when I bought it it was already dropped 1.5" on stock struts & shocks , I hated it lol
If I can just iron out a few other things soon I might actually get in some seat time .

ZR
09-02-2016, 11:01 PM
No experience with the Steeda dampers. The Bilsteins are well on the firm side, Koni's (adjustables) are controlled but with a great ride.

Boomer605
09-02-2016, 11:43 PM
No experience with the Steeda dampers. The Bilsteins are well on the firm side, Koni's (adjustables) are controlled but with a great ride.

Thanks ZR. My ultimate goal is to have my car handle like a Boss 302 or better which will mean upgrading sway bars and other bits as well. I looked into the Koni yellow series adjustable struts and shocks tonight and I really like the idea of being able to tweak the settings. Checked American Muscle and they have them on sale. Is there a comparable local store to purchase these?

ZR
09-03-2016, 07:38 AM
If firm and well planted is the goal, you might be disappointed in Koni Sports as the S/A shocks n struts only provide rebound adjustment. At that point I'd lean more towards Bilstein HD.
Couple or three guys here have Koni's, maybe try n hook up for ride in one of their cars.

Boomer605
09-03-2016, 07:55 PM
If firm and well planted is the goal, you might be disappointed in Koni Sports as the S/A shocks n struts only provide rebound adjustment. At that point I'd lean more towards Bilstein HD.
Couple or three guys here have Koni's, maybe try n hook up for ride in one of their cars.

Thanks everyone. I'll ask around on cruise nights. Something to put on next year's mod list.

ZR
09-03-2016, 09:04 PM
^ Nice.

ZR
09-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Case in point, my own car. Current set up is double adjustable Koni struts up front with 450lb springs / Maximum Motorsport sport valved Bilsteins out back with 550lb springs. Car has never ever ever ridden and driven so well. Best described as a BMW like, firm n controlled ride, agility n overall feel is nothing like a Mustang is suppose to feel like.
I know, looking at the spring specs, should ride n feel like a dump truck, amazing how things matched up properly can work so well.

2DXTRM
09-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Case in point, my own car. Current set up is double adjustable Koni struts up front with 450lb springs / Maximum Motorsport sport valved Bilsteins out back with 550lb springs. Car has never ever ever ridden and driven so well. Best described as a BMW like, firm n controlled ride, agility n overall feel is nothing like a Mustang is suppose to feel like.
I know, looking at the spring specs, should ride n feel like a dump truck, amazing how things matched up properly can work so well.

Wheres the like button?

tulowd
09-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Thanks ZR. My ultimate goal is to have my car handle like a Boss 302 or better which will mean upgrading sway bars and other bits as well. I looked into the Koni yellow series adjustable struts and shocks tonight and I really like the idea of being able to tweak the settings. Checked American Muscle and they have them on sale. Is there a comparable local store to purchase these?

There's going to be a bunch of other stuff you need to think about doing - the Boss has unique bushings and control arms etc. By far the biggest factor once you are set with your basic suspension items will be light wheels and sticky tires.....and then brakes to go with it.....and then you'll find your springs aren't stiff enough....and on and on etc. lol

TheMustangShow
09-20-2016, 09:36 AM
There's going to be a bunch of other stuff you need to think about doing - the Boss has unique bushings and control arms etc. By far the biggest factor once you are set with your basic suspension items will be light wheels and sticky tires.....and then brakes to go with it.....and then you'll find your springs aren't stiff enough....and on and on etc. lol

...and which BOSS?

Boss 302
Boss 302LS
Boss 302S
Boss 302R

RedSN
09-20-2016, 01:13 PM
...and which BOSS?
The first one.

...car handle like a Boss 302...

Armen
09-20-2016, 03:34 PM
...and which BOSS?

Boss 302
Boss 302LS
Boss 302S
Boss 302R

Do you feel better now, JT?

ZR
09-21-2016, 07:42 AM
Wheres the like button?
\
Thumbs up at the bottom of each post, click on it to add.

fast Ed
09-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Do you feel better now, JT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

ZR
10-01-2016, 07:02 AM

Car is now just that much better after alignment last night. Combined with the correct struts n shocks, you can run hugely aggressive spring rates on the street while retaining a good but firm ride but yes it's going to be spendy.

Scrape
10-01-2016, 08:02 AM
That is awesome! The proper way.
Car is now just that much better after alignment last night. Combined with the correct struts n shocks, you can run hugely aggressive spring rates on the street while retaining a good but firm ride but yes it's going to be spendy.

svorob
10-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Looking to lower my 87 GT
already have Koni struts n shocks in parts pile
what would be best spring for comfortable ride and lowered stance (not too low) and would a front control arm swap be best? (already have BBK rears in parts pile as well as Steeda subframe connectors)

fast Ed
10-01-2016, 12:47 PM
The old Ford Racing M-5300-C set worked well in my 87 LX with red adjustable Konis back in the day, good ride and decent handling without being slammed. Maybe look for an uncut set of those used, might be some bargains out there.

cheers
Ed

ZR
10-01-2016, 02:21 PM
My suggestion, Maximum Motorsports road n track springs. Heights have been consistent, ride n handling are terrific.
Which Koni shocks n struts do you have?

svorob
10-02-2016, 04:03 PM
I have the single adjustable struts
And the srt rears
With either the road and track springs or the C's would a front control arm swap be necessary?
Have 17" rims and new cobra calipers and 94 spindles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZR
10-02-2016, 10:15 PM
No stock arm is fine (provided ball joints / bushings are in good shape) but it would feel better on FMS lower arms (improved Cobra style bushings and ball joint).

svorob
10-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the advice... My main goal is to have a tight feel like a new car so I will for sure have to do the bushings and check/change balljoints
the car still has less than 100k but I am sure time has not been well to the factory rubber bushings I can feel the "play" in the rear while cornering

ZR
10-03-2016, 07:28 AM
If the budget would allow, Maximum lower front arms + coil over conversion + MM alum rack bushings and steering shaft = epic upgrade you'll never regret. Their c/o conversion will install on your Koni fronts. Besides springs and shocks (sorry not a fan of Koni STR), best upgrade for the rear is a set of MM lower arms plus remove quad shocks. Next on the list, MM panhard. Assuming you've already done high end sub frame connectors (Steeda or Maximum) at this point you'd barely recognize it as being your car.
Cool part about coil overs, you not only gain performance advantage plus ride height adjustability, with the right spring it'll also ride better.

Slick_89_Hatch
10-03-2016, 08:00 AM
If the budget would allow, Maximum lower front arms + coil over conversion + MM alum rack bushings and steering shaft = epic upgrade you'll never regret. Their c/o conversion will install on your Koni fronts. Besides springs and shocks (sorry not a fan of Koni STR), best upgrade for the rear is a set of MM lower arms plus remove quad shocks. Next on the list, MM panhard. Assuming you've already done high end sub frame connectors (Steeda or Maximum) at this point you'd barely recognize it as being your car.
Cool part about coil overs, you not only gain performance advantage plus ride height adjustability, with the right spring it'll also ride better.

I have this exact front set up on my 89....night and day....car feels amazing..super tight.

ZR
10-03-2016, 08:11 AM
^ Best part, all that performance without having to put up with it riding like a dump truck.
Wish we'd known years ago how well MM's coil over kits perform and ride.

Boomer605
11-05-2016, 08:46 PM

Well, I did it. I picked up a set of Koni yellow adjustable struts and shocks from American Muscle. After looking into it further they seem to offer the best performance and adjustability for the price. I was able to save 30% with their current sale. Don't think I'll be able to find anything else close for the money. These will be paired with Steeda Sport Springs with Steeda heavy duty strut mounts and a strut tower brace up front and Steeda adjustable Panhard bar and brace and upper control arm upgrade in back. Already rolling on takeoff 2010 GT500 forged 19" wheels and Goodyear Supercar tires.

Really looking forward to the install next spring. To clarify, the Koni's, upper control arm, and Panhard brace will be installed. The other parts mentioned are already in place. Ideally I would also like to have new lower control arms before then and include them as well.

ZR
11-05-2016, 11:12 PM
^ Home run.

Boomer605
11-05-2016, 11:44 PM
^ Home run.

Thanks! Any suggestions on settings for a pleasantly firm and controlled ride that won't beat me up? I'll probably start off on full soft and then dial in some firmness until I find the right compromise. What do most guys use on our variable quality GTA roads? Also, are adjustments made equally to front and rears or is one end biased over the other?

ZR
11-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Keep in mind, (assuming S/A Koni's), your adjusting rebound only. It does however have some effect on compression dampening. With that in mind, closer to full soft works out best for most.

tulowd
11-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Have a look at this; obviously geared towards road course setup, but nonetheless relevant with some good info published by Koni.

http://www.bimmerhaus.com/tech/shocktuningTN.html

Boomer605
11-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Have a look at this; obviously geared towards road course setup, but nonetheless relevant with some good info published by Koni.

http://www.bimmerhaus.com/tech/shocktuningTN.html

Thanks tulowd, very interesting read with lots of useful information. I'm looking forward to this install next spring. As so many have said, I'm sure I'll wonder why I didn't do it sooner. As it stands right now my car handles significantly better than stock. This will be the icing on the cake!

thePorscheMan
12-22-2016, 07:23 AM
I vote for Bilsteins. Even though they are more costly, they ride fine and last.:mechanic:

ZR
12-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Bilsteins are a solid choice for sure.

Slick_89_Hatch
12-25-2016, 03:20 PM
What about KYB GR-2 for a DD on a S197 with 1.5" drop? Found a set for a good deal with springs and GT500 strut mounts. I had the KYBs on my SN95 and they were ok....but part of the ride quality issue could be from other factors that were not fixed before I went to Bilstiens.

ZR
12-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Have not installed KYB on a S197 yet but they were a decent budget choice on Fox n SN95.

NickD
12-26-2016, 01:42 AM
Kyb seems to get good reviews Norm, stock shocks for life though!

RedSN
12-26-2016, 11:39 AM
...stock shocks for life though!

Unless you read the last 5 pages of this thread.

Screw
12-26-2016, 12:50 PM
ZR installed my koni yellows no complaints night & day

Grebnitty
05-05-2017, 11:39 PM
I've now learned this lesson the hard way. I did Eibach pro springs on stock shocks/struts on my s550 and it was ok for a couple months but has progressively gotten worse to the point that the ride is so bad I can't take it any longer. I'm pretty sure the rear shocks are toast. Who ever has done this and had good results is really lucky. Koni yellows on the way.

Grebnitty
05-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Well, I have installed my Koni sport shocks and struts with the Eibach's and all I can say is, WOW! What a night and day difference in ride quality. I have them set on 50% and the ride is incredible compared to the stock stuff with the Eibach's. I only wish I did this sooner. Never again will I put lowering springs on stock suspension. Thanks Rick and Ross, you guys did a great job as usual.

Armen
05-13-2017, 03:43 PM
I have the pro kit with front and rear sways on my stock shocks and struts and have zero complaints. Rides nice and handles awesome. It's not at all too harsh and the car can take a corner on the the street or the track and there is no drama from the suspension. I think I could use better tires after several track (road and drag) days and a lot of highway cruising, tho.

Armen
05-13-2017, 05:26 PM
I see you have a 17 GT with the performance pack. I wonder if that's the difference. I just have the GT Premium - no performance package. The PP struts and shocks are tuned firmer than the regular GT and perhaps they just didn't play well for a nice ride with the Eibach pro springs.

Grebnitty
05-14-2017, 10:02 AM
I think you might be right. I used to think that the PP shocks were the same, I thought they only upgraded the springs, but now that I think back when I purchased the car, there was a bullet point on the performance package that said "Unique chassis and suspension tuning" , so that must be the difference in the shocks. It makes sense.

CON VERT
06-21-2017, 06:58 AM
Thanks to the Good DR ZR for installing the Bilsteins on the rear, car corners flatter, and is smoother on the wash board roads, it also raised the rear up just a hair, handles so much better (a bit firmer) feels so much better than stock ! Thanks Again Rick for the great service and info on what to buy.