PDA

View Full Version : SN95 OBD Port Question

Rich-C
08-23-2016, 07:18 AM
Hoping for a little help. My SCT flasher won't boot up when plugged into my 96 cobra - but boots when i plug it into my other vehicle. Tried my buddy's flasher and it also didn't boot up in my stang.

I was able to measure 12V on pin 16 - so I'm definitely getting power to the port. However, I was not able to measure the 12V through Pin 5 which is supposed to be the chassis ground. This leads me to believe that the ground is bad.

Does anybody know where this wire is grounded to the chassis? Hoping someone will know before I start taking the dash apart!!

Thanks

Rich

ZR
08-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Without a wiring diagram, not sure where it picks up ground. However, if it's chassis ground, no reason not to tie a ground wire into it.

Laffs
08-23-2016, 10:37 AM
What version SCT tuner is it? Also you bought another 96?

Rich-C
08-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Without a wiring diagram, not sure where it picks up ground. However, if it's chassis ground, no reason not to tie a ground wire into it.

Ya i'm thinking about tapping into the ground wire and making a new chassis ground.

Rich-C
08-23-2016, 11:11 AM
What version SCT tuner is it? Also you bought another 96?

Its a BAMA X3 unit...came with the car. It works perfect when i plug it into any other car so I'm certain it's my car that is the problem.

Yes. Bought a 96 cobra. Was gonna make a new post when I eventually get this thing on the road lol. Need to get this issue worked out before getting a safety/etest.

Rich

Blackmare
08-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Its a BAMA X3 unit...came with the car. It works perfect when i plug it into any other car so I'm certain it's my car that is the problem.

Yes. Bought a 96 cobra. Was gonna make a new post when I eventually get this thing on the road lol. Need to get this issue worked out before getting a safety/etest.

Rich

Do you still have the 04? Would love to see pics of the 96 when you can.

Laffs
08-23-2016, 02:21 PM

Rich

Have you check the cig lighter fuse? My xcal 2 wouldnt power up when I first bought it, of course I looked at everything for cause but that.

Also I think if I'm reading my manuals right, pin 4 is chassis ground and pin 5 is signal ground.

Rich-C
08-23-2016, 11:25 PM
Have you check the cig lighter fuse? My xcal 2 wouldnt power up when I first bought it, of course I looked at everything for cause but that.

Also I think if I'm reading my manuals right, pin 4 is chassis ground and pin 5 is signal ground.

Ya I checked that and have the burn on my finger to prove it lol.

It was pin 5 giving me the problem. I spliced in a new ground wire and I'm back in business! Thank goodness.

Ponyryd
08-23-2016, 11:28 PM

Rich

Irrelevant now, but you don't need obd port to work for safety or etest on a '96.

Please tell me it's mystic.

ZR
08-24-2016, 07:02 AM
Ya I checked that and have the burn on my finger to prove it lol.

It was pin 5 giving me the problem. I spliced in a new ground wire and I'm back in business! Thank goodness.

Quick n easy fix, nice.

Rich-C
08-24-2016, 07:25 AM
Quick n easy fix, nice.

Yes sir! Thanks :)

ZR
08-24-2016, 07:25 AM
Good to see you back in the saddle.

Rich-C
08-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Good to see you back in the saddle.

Haha feels good. Wifes even slowly warming up to it. I'm thinking mods will be slow and steady this time round. Prolong the fun

ZR
08-24-2016, 07:32 AM
Nice.

allicedout
08-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Haha feels good. Wifes even slowly warming up to it. I'm thinking mods will be slow and steady this time round. Prolong the fun

Its never slow and steady...... Glad its all sorted out Rich, can't wait to see the new ride.

Rich-C
08-24-2016, 07:39 AM
Its never slow and steady...... Glad its all sorted out Rich, can't wait to see the new ride.

Lol that's true....especially when you guys keep sending me links to parts everyday hahaha

RedSN
08-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Its never slow and steady.....
yes it is.

welcome back to the game Rich