PDA

View Full Version : Video Equipment Suggestions

Blackmare
09-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Was just approached by my boss to pick up some video recording equipment. I have no experience with this type of tech.
Can anyone suggest a budget friendly video recorder, tri pod and editing software? They'll be used to record some training material as well as marketing vids etc. Any other suggestions you have are welcome.
Thanks guys/gals.

Laffs
09-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Define budget friendly? We talking small startup budget friendly or municipal office at year end budget friendly?

Laffs
09-13-2016, 03:30 PM
FWIW we bought a Canon EOS 70D, added a bag, seven oak hand held stabilizer, manfrotto tripod and monopod and I think it call came in around $1700 or so. I can pull invoices if you want. Software is Adobe Premiere Pro but that's just monthly subscription, since Adobe won't let you buy software outright anymore, think it was $25 per month to add it to the licenses.

We have yet to exceed the capabilities of this setup for 99% of our YT/Social and general shoot stuff. If you want to have a pro end product, its all in the people using the gear and software IMO. We could have spent 2x our cost and I'm confident the results would be the same, hell some of the shit we've recorded on tablets/phones has been decent for internal consumption. Depending on how large a volume of videos you intend to shoot it may be better to just find a good agency to shoot and produce the pieces you want and budget for their costs YoY vs buying the hardware.

Blackmare
09-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Define budget friendly? We talking small startup budget friendly or municipal office at year end budget friendly?

Sorry, you're right. Small business budget for something that might be used a few times a year for internal consumption with perhaps the odd FB post. I'd say $500-$1000 tops.

Laffs
09-13-2016, 04:11 PM
Decent Sony action HD cam + tripod mount + basic Adobe Premiere Elements will probably fit the bill nicely. I may have my proposal memos and cost estimates somewhere from when they asked me to research this same thing somewhere I can try and find.

Ghost Rider
09-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Sony PWM-300K1 $7K-$10K (you can also pick up used in decent shape for less)

Lens: FUJINON HA18x7.6 BERM 2/3" HD Zoom Lens w/2x Extender (Note, the stock Sony lens is excellent, no need for a broadcast lens in most cases) $20K or less for used in good shape

Tripod: Manfrotta Twin with Spiked Spreader $600-$1K
Head: Sachtler Fluid Head with Counterbalance and Illuminated Leveler $1K-$3K or less for a good condition used older model

Editing Software: Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Pro $65usd/month (includes a lot of other programs I did not list though)

Editing right now actually...as we speak :)

Premiere:

Ghost Rider
09-13-2016, 04:27 PM
After Effects:

Ghost Rider
09-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Sorry, you're right. Small business budget for something that might be used a few times a year for internal consumption with perhaps the odd FB post. I'd say $500-$1000 tops.

Okay then, NM my posts LOL, was in the middle of getting prices and taking pics before I saw this...my bad

Blackmare
09-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Decent Sony action HD cam + tripod mount + basic Adobe Premiere Elements will probably fit the bill nicely. I may have my proposal memos and cost estimates somewhere from when they asked me to research this same thing somewhere I can try and find.

That would be awesome if you could find them. Really appreciate it.

Blackmare
09-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Okay then, NM my posts LOL, was in the middle of getting prices and taking pics before I saw this...my bad
Appreciate you taking the time Dave!

baddbullitt
09-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Just get a GoPro. The software comes with it and it's user friendly. Not to mention compact and can be used for a ton of things! I love using mine!!! Who says cams need to be big and bulky eh!? :)

Laffs
09-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Just get a GoPro. The software comes with it and it's user friendly. Not to mention compact and can be used for a ton of things! I love using mine!!! Who says cams need to be big and bulky eh!? :)

We tried this, wasn't suitable for shooting the marketing pieces and social stuff we wanted.

Blackmare Looks like when we underwent this my recommendations for "video only" options were

Sony Handycam CX455 8GB $499 ( I reco'd an older model, this seems to be latest version)
Manfrotto advanced tripod $129
Sevenoak shoulder support grip $79

So around $700 plus a bag and extra cards. We ended up going DSLR with HD video because this was for our Marketing Dept and they would get more use that way.

Blackmare
09-14-2016, 09:02 AM
We tried this, wasn't suitable for shooting the marketing pieces and social stuff we wanted.

Blackmare Looks like when we underwent this my recommendations for "video only" options were

Sony Handycam CX455 8GB $499 ( I reco'd an older model, this seems to be latest version)
Manfrotto advanced tripod $129
Sevenoak shoulder support grip $79

So around $700 plus a bag and extra cards. We ended up going DSLR with HD video because this was for our Marketing Dept and they would get more use that way.

Awesome info Laffs. Thank you very much. I found an action cam that might work for the owner. Could use it for business, but also for personal use. Sony Action Cam HDR-AS200VR. Same price as the cx455. I'll reco the cx455 if he wants to go that route instead.

Laffs
09-14-2016, 11:11 AM
No problem, it seems I kept reco'ing Sonys on this, assuming they had a better return or warranty policy.

Blackmare
09-14-2016, 11:13 AM
All ordered up. Thanks for the help guys.