PDA

View Full Version : Storing your car

ZR
10-24-2016, 08:27 AM
- full can of SeaFoam (or your storage / stabilizer of choice) in the tank and fill before your last drive. Must go at least far enough to ensure it's gone through injectors as well. I see no need to store full of fuel, actually prefer 1/2 max so it doesn't take as long in the spring to run through and refill with fresh

- fresh oil change and filter, grease any fittings it may have

- fill tires 40-45 psi

- remove anything from the interior or trunk that may attract animals / mice etc

- at the very least, disconnect the battery. If possible, remove and store downstairs (on a battery tender is the best for it / not expensive to buy and will last for years).

- good idea to wash before it's last drive as well to remove bugs n any debris, only gets harder to remove in the spring

- when covering (outside or it) use a breathable cover only. Plastic sheet or non breathable cover will only promote mould in your interior

- don't start the engine while it sits over the winter unless your in a position to take for a decent drive.

- unless stored in a heated location, sheet of plastic down under the entire car will help keep moisture off it.

baddbullitt
10-24-2016, 09:05 AM
Some good advise right there.

On Saturday Joanna and I hit up Crappy Tire and pick up an 11x20 Montreal car port for Helga.. Just gotta wait for the fence guys to come and take care of the fence before putting it up!! (I hate waiting) lol I like the idea about something under the car though. I have a tarp I think I'll put into play when she goes under!!! :)

I think that plus a regular car cover should suffice for the old girl.. But I'll still be taking her out once in a while just to have some fun!! :)

CON VERT
10-24-2016, 09:32 AM
^^ Make sure your local bylaws allow temp structures ! ( carport ) FYI not allowed in Ajax for example !

baddbullitt
10-24-2016, 09:44 AM
There's a ton of houses in my area that has them... Shouldn't be a problem.... But I'm sure the good woman has already looked into that.. Some people in Hamilton use carports as houses!! lol

Screw
10-24-2016, 10:31 AM
:encouragement: cool will keep it simple thanks

True Blue
10-24-2016, 10:53 AM
All great points!! In addition I place 1.5" thick styrofoam pieces under the tires, to reduce the chances of developing flat spots from sitting.

Scott
10-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Good advise as usual Rick!

I have been putting blocks of rigid styrofoam under the tires, guess this can't hurt as well.

Never had sheet plastic under the car, this is a great idea. When I moved into my house in 1997 The dryer vent excited into the garage (wonder where all the "Code Inspectors" where when this was done)! Rerouted it this summer to bypass the garage and exit directly outside. I am expecting a huge difference in the humidity this winter in the garage.

Uncle Buck
10-24-2016, 02:10 PM
I just park mine in the bedroom

baddbullitt
10-24-2016, 02:20 PM
^^ Now that's love right there!!!

94stang87
10-24-2016, 03:22 PM
I always thought it was best to fill your gas tank to the top to prevent moisture from rusting the inside of the tank

BOOOSTD
10-24-2016, 03:57 PM
I always thought it was best to fill your gas tank to the top to prevent moisture from rusting the inside of the tank

Same here....so I've always filled mine up. I guess it would also depend on the environment where the car is stored.

Sent from my Venumis iPhone

RedSN
10-24-2016, 04:06 PM
- at the very least, disconnect the battery.
This is the ONLY thing I do.

But I do agree with the point of removing all uneaten sandwiches from the car. That's never a bad idea.

ZR
10-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Been a long time since fuel tanks were vented to the atmosphere, likely why you just don't see them with rust on the inside anymore. Yes back in the day it was very common.

ZR
10-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Not a bad idea to park with tires on foam or carpet to help prevent flat spotting, it's also why I suggested pumping the tires into the 40+ range.

NickD
10-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Rick, I always filled my tank full as well, the bottle of seafoam has a ratio for fuel storage on it, can you clarify if you follow that or are putting a full bottle in half a tank? I like the idea of not having to burn through a full talk of old gas in the spring if it doesn't benefit me to fill it all the way😀

True Blue
10-24-2016, 06:55 PM
Me personally I have always filled the tank full before storing to reduce the chances of condensation occurring. That includes adding the proper mixture of fuel stabilizer which is suppose to keep gas fresh for up to 2 years.

newbiestangowner
10-24-2016, 07:05 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-intelligent-battery-charger-12-8-2a-0111518p.html#srp

I took this off my pops- not really that "battery tender" but should I hook it up or no

NickD
10-24-2016, 09:06 PM
Ron, that will overcharge the battery, I have just disconnected my battery and left in in the car, indoor storage but not heated and the batt always starts perfect when I hook it up in the spring

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

94stang87
10-24-2016, 09:28 PM
i have used this one for the last 3 years
https://www.amazon.ca/Deltran-Battery-021-0156-12-Volt-Charger/dp/B000NCOKQK/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1477358696&sr=1-5&keywords=battery+tender

ZR
10-24-2016, 09:59 PM
^ Battery tender above is exactly what you'd want to use.
Yes I've also seen most batteries sit over the winter, even in the cold, and survive just fine.
No doubt out of the car and on a tender is best for them though.

NickD
10-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Yes I've also seen most batteries sit over the winter, even in the cold, and survive just fine.

Rick see above my comment regarding seafoam, Im going to try and put the car away this week as I leave sunday for 2.5 weeks again

ZR
10-25-2016, 06:51 AM
Rick, I always filled my tank full as well, the bottle of seafoam has a ratio for fuel storage on it, can you clarify if you follow that or are putting a full bottle in half a tank? I like the idea of not having to burn through a full talk of old gas in the spring if it doesn't benefit me to fill it all the way

My original reply was geared towards those storing with a full tank. Yes 1/2 can to 1/2 tank would leave you good to go (however on SeaFoams site, confirm extra can harm nothing). Less fuel = less time to burn through it which also means less chance (especially for the boosted rides or perhaps even later N/A Mustangs running higher compression) of rolling on it (with old gas) and potentially causing engine damage.

ZR
10-25-2016, 07:05 AM
Also money well spent to include your summer gas powered yard tools, generator etc in your storage ritual. Yup, several are going to chime in they've never had a problem leaving the lawn mower and doing nothing. A greater percentage see themselves on the backside of a carb rebuild / repair that often exceeds the value of their 3 or 4 yr old machine.
Tiny bit it costs to change the oil and add SeaFoam to your mowers tank pales in comparison to repairing or replacing. Same goes for that generator you bought in case of an emergency. No use if you pull the cord and it sputters, coughs n quits leaving you in the dark. Since mine did not see the amount of use it normally does this summer, Ross drained all the old fuel (dumped in the truck) and refilled with fresh plus a shot of SeaFoam.

ZR
10-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Got a pm asking about axle stands, to me, better it's left sitting on it's own wheels with tires pumped as suggested. Please don't park your car on the grass for the winter, moisture will eat it alive. Same for a location where water would be prone to standing under it.

allicedout
10-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Not a bad idea to park with tires on foam or carpet to help prevent flat spotting, it's also why I suggested pumping the tires into the 40+ range.

Didn't do that last year, first trip in the spring and the tps triggered in all 4 corners. I've made a note to bump them all up this year before I squeeze it in to the corner of the garage. Regarding flat spots, I read that is not a concern with radial tires, I use rubber mats for all 4 tires to prevent them from sticking to the concrete.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/battery-tender-junior-0-75a-maintainer-0111940p.html#srp

This is the little guy I bought, seems to work fine. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery and remove it or can I leave it hooked up in the car? Pros/Cons to either method? I know you recommend complete removal for storage, where is a safe place to keep the battery out of the car and on the tender?

The car will be tucked away in the corner but my salty dirty van will be in there right beside it over the winter..... Anything extra I should be doing to keep her minty fresh over the winter?? Or should I be looking at storing it somewhere completely different?

Blackmare
10-25-2016, 01:04 PM
I've always connected my battery tender to the battery in the car Hem. No issues for me with it being stored that way over 10 or so winters. Another bonus of leaving the battery in the car with a tender is that the car should be ready to go for any emissions testing that might be needed after storage. If the battery is disconnected, you'd have to put the car through the necessary drive cycles to get enough sensors ready in the spring.
Not aware of any downsides to leaving the battery in the car with a good quality tender attached.

allicedout
10-25-2016, 01:41 PM
Thanks Scott, I left mine in last year as well, no issues. I find guys that store offsite have no choice as most of the places I know will not provide an outlet and some go as far as to make you remove the battery all together.

Blackmare
10-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks Scott, I left mine in last year as well, no issues. I find guys that store off sight have no choice as most of the places I know will not provide an outlet and some go as far as to make you remove the battery all together.

Yes, very good point and exactly what I've heard as well. Too much liability to allow tenders/batteries to be left in the vehicles at offsite storage locations.

ZR
10-25-2016, 01:56 PM
Most prominent reason for disconnecting, to ward off the chances of a fire should a rodent chew yer wiring.

CDNfyrfytr
10-25-2016, 02:31 PM
^^^^^This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedSN
10-25-2016, 03:36 PM
^^^double this.

We lost a tractor (and almost a shed) due to a rodent eating thru the cables.
Thus my apprehension to leaving a battery connected while in storage.

Scrape
10-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Always good to get a refresher for those who store their cars. Maybe make it a sticky Rick?

ZR
10-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Good thought / done.

allicedout
10-25-2016, 09:01 PM
Most prominent reason for disconnecting, to ward off the chances of a fire should a rodent chew yer wiring.

^^^double this.

We lost a tractor (and almost a shed) due to a rodent eating thru the cables.
Thus my apprehension to leaving a battery connected while in storage.

Point noted....

Harbinger
10-26-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking of installing a heating unit in the garage to keep the temperature at a reasonable level for storing the mach 1 in my parents garage. Any advice ?

ZR
10-26-2016, 10:08 PM
^ Electric is uber expensive to run.

Harbinger
10-26-2016, 11:31 PM
^ Electric is uber expensive to run.
Any alternative ?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mavrrrick
10-27-2016, 07:19 AM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-intelligent-battery-charger-12-8-2a-0111518p.html#srp

I took this off my pops- not really that "battery tender" but should I hook it up or no

That is exactly what i use...works great...it goes into maintenance mode and won't overcharge battery... read description.

mavrrrick
10-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Didn't do that last year, first trip in the spring and the tps triggered in all 4 corners. I've made a note to bump them all up this year before I squeeze it in to the corner of the garage. Regarding flat spots, I read that is not a concern with radial tires, I use rubber mats for all 4 tires to prevent them from sticking to the concrete.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/battery-tender-junior-0-75a-maintainer-0111940p.html#srp

This is the little guy I bought, seems to work fine. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery and remove it or can I leave it hooked up in the car? Pros/Cons to either method? I know you recommend complete removal for storage, where is a safe place to keep the battery out of the car and on the tender?

The car will be tucked away in the corner but my salty dirty van will be in there right beside it over the winter..... Anything extra I should be doing to keep her minty fresh over the winter?? Or should I be looking at storing it somewhere completely different?

I put a quick disconnect in mine...no issues....just turn green dial and done.

Screw
11-06-2016, 09:08 AM
One last cruise & parking it Monday , looks to be a nice day for a 400km cruise ;)

newbiestangowner
11-06-2016, 10:39 AM
One last cruise & parking it Monday , looks to be a nice day for a 400km cruise ;)

enjoy! I was going to put her to bed today- ahh maybe tomorrow lol

ZR
11-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Avi0nics (http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/member.php?u=1487): The following are my steps for storing, please let me know if I'm missing any.. (1) Oil change (2) Cleaning the car inside-out (3) Top-up the Gas tank (4) adding Luc
as fuel stabilizer (5) dropping the windows 1/2 inch (6) remove battery (7) Car Cover

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/images/statusicon/post_new.png (http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/misc.php?ccbloc=55693)[17-11, 04:06]Avi0nics (http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/member.php?u=1487): Good morning, I'm getting ready to put my 2016 GT away for the winter soon, i live in a an apartment with underground parking. Question : is it okay to disconnect the battery for months without causing any issues for these new computerized cars ?

Oil change = good idea if it's due (if oil is in good shape, ok to leave till spring)

Clean inside of the car = especially make sure you get any food old wrappers etc from under seats, inside console etc

Top off gas tank = not 100% necessary

Stabalizer = must make sure it's been run / driven far enough to be in the entire fuel system (meaning, don't just dump in the tank n store)

Remove battery = best way to store out of the vehicle hooked to a battery tender (although most get by just fine with cable(s) disconnected)

Leave windows cracked = to me just adds to dust n dirt it'll accumulate (especially in an underground) + easier access for critters / thieves

Electronics ok with batt disconnected = yes it'll be just fine. When reconnected in the spring, some may run funny or even stall until fully warmed up and or driven. Only other downside would be if you need etest first thing in the spring (which yours clearly does not) as it would need to be driven far / long enough for monitors to go ready.

Storing in underground = if it's clean and dry, park as is. If it's one where floors are always dark n show moisture, park your car on a plastic tarp (if mgt will allow). Acts as a barrier between moist concrete and your cars underside. Cheapest of cheap tarp will serve you fine.

Car cover = breathable versions only, never cover / wrap in plastic, yes even if stored inside.\

Tires = pump them up to max pressure shown on the sidewall will help prevent flat spotting while sitting.

Harbinger
11-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Any recommendations on a good car cover for the mach 1?

ZR
11-19-2016, 12:34 PM
If it's inside, old bed sheet is a great option.

hsousa88
11-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Stored mine last weekend.

Cruised, changed oil, topped off gas, added fuel stabil, parked on a tarp, pulled the batt and hooked it up to my boats onboard batt charger/tender, split up a bar of soap throughout the car (smells wicked come spring) and put a blanky on her. Goodnight.

And I hope my tires are flat spotted come spring.. this why I have no choice but to upgrade brakes, wheels and tires. Sorry babe ;D

Boomer605
11-19-2016, 07:23 PM
In addition to all the above points I also buy four boxes of baking soda, Canadian Tire often has the Arm and Hammer brand on for $1 each. I open the perforated sides and put one box in each footwell. Helps keep moisture and any odors down. Lastly I set six mouse traps and set them up at each end and midpoint of the garage by the walls. I dread the thought of mice getting into the wiring. Never caught a mouse yet!

True Blue
11-20-2016, 09:44 AM
If it's inside, old bed sheet is a great option.

Yup, my coupe will be getting this treatment... Didn't purchase a car cover for it yet. Funds at this time will be directed towards the parts list.

ZR
11-20-2016, 09:46 AM
Cheap n easy option that works mint.

Harbinger
11-20-2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I still need to take it for a mini cruise

ZR
10-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Time of the yr is here again.

CON VERT
10-17-2018, 02:19 PM
I lay a plastic garbage bag on the back seat, place a 10 bag of charcoal on it , carefully cut down the middle and leave it open, never had a smell in my car, charcoal work wonders at absorbing smells of any kind !!

dr.zed
11-20-2020, 05:18 PM
I see these lists pop up in various locations over the years, like in Haggarty magazine, newspapers etc... and this one piece of advice is almost always nearly missing, and I appreciate you putting this on your list:

"- don't start the engine while it sits over the winter unless your in a position to take for a decent drive."

This is great advice. If oil can't get up to 160F (or more) the by- products of combustion are distributed around the engine anywhere that touches oil. Most times idling for even hours is not enough time to get oil to this "warmed" up temperature, enough to eliminate the moisture and acid that make it into the oil. Anyway thanks ZR for this important and often overlooked piece of advice.

... now, if this topic wasn't controversial enough, if you could please tell me on my motorcycle to "drain the bowl or not" over the winter ... that would be great! :)
(I cover my exhaust and squeeze a bit of oil into the cylinders and rotate a few before it sleeps as well).

ZR
11-20-2020, 07:34 PM
Been telling peeps since being of time (yes same time I was born), shut it off and leave it the hell alone for the winter. Worse thing you can do is start and let it idle without being able to drive.

ZR
11-20-2020, 07:35 PM
Drain or not, SeaFoam on your last fill up and drive far enough to be sure it's through the entire fuel system, shut off and enjoy come spring time.

shadow
03-18-2023, 06:07 PM
Good advice ZR

I did everything except the tire pressure, and I started it twice. I just couldn't help it. It sounds soooooooo good!!!

Do you think I'm going to get a flat spot??? It's only been 4 months and I moved it once?

shadow
03-18-2023, 06:13 PM
Hey ZR You have me worried!

I started my car twice this winter. I thought it would be good for it.

What damage do you think I did?

Laffs
03-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Hey ZR You have me worried!

I started my car twice this winter. I thought it would be good for it.

What damage do you think I did?

Likely no discernable damage at all from those instances, especially if you allowed it to get up to operating temp. But doing it year over year, not getting up to temp you're introducing moisture and wear in the equation. Even allowing it up to temp you're still just idling it needlessly and likely prematurely rusting out the exhaust components.

Stop starting and running it until you're ready to drive it in the spring, the change the oil, check your fluids and pressures and enjoy.

shadow
03-21-2023, 08:49 AM
Love car scott!
and yes, your biggest fear will come to fruition, and she will find out how much you really paid. The good news is, you won't be around to suffer the conseque! LOL.

ZR
03-21-2023, 09:13 AM
Likely no discernable damage at all from those instances, especially if you allowed it to get up to operating temp. But doing it year over year, not getting up to temp you're introducing moisture and wear in the equation. Even allowing it up to temp you're still just idling it needlessly and likely prematurely rusting out the exhaust components.

Stop starting and running it until you're ready to drive it in the spring, the change the oil, check your fluids and pressures and enjoy.

Good advice from Laffs.