Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4.6 2V Rebuild - Need some input

MEANMCHN

4.6 2V Rebuild - Need some input

Hey Guys,

So, I'm in the process of collecting things for an upcoming rebuild. I'm currently using the car mainly at the track (road course, not drag) and have been running the stock 4.6 2V with a Vortech V2 SQ for quite a few years with no problems.

I like the SC setup, it's great, but was thinking of going with a 5.0 stroker. Does anyone know roughly what I'm looking at roughly HP wise for a 5.0 stroker 2V with cams/heads/etc/etc?

However, there are lots of options, switch to the 03-04 cobra engine and trans for ~$9,000, rebuild the old one which I'm thinking is going to probably cost close to the same, or go a completely different route.

I currently make a safe amount of power but would like more obviously, every car that shows up at the track lately has 600HP, luckily the drivers aren't typically up to it, but when they are it's tough to keep up. I'd like to go for the 600HP mark.

Thoughts?

What car is it going in?

MEANMCHN
    My 99 GT

Although not impossible to make 600hp in a 2v, that's a lot of power and really have to push the revs up to get there. With the 5.0 stroker and the trick flow heads and matching cams you will be pretty close to those #'s probably even exceed them with a good tune.

MEANMCHN
    So with a stroker kit being in the $3,000 range, heads and cams also being that range and assembly/machining (no I can't or wouldn't ever try to tackle something like that myself) would it be better to build up the block I currently have or switch to an 03-04 Cobra motor/tranny, or something else?

You'd need 03/04 drivetrain + Whipple or similar to get into that power level (assuming you mean at the tire h/p). Downside to a big h/p blower car on the road course, controlling engine / blower temps.

99chromegt
    Subscribing..... I've got the same questions & ideas floating around in my head too. I have a 99GT and recently upgraded the suspension & brakes. Stage 2 cams, CNC heads, TFS track heat manifold, upgraded MAF, injects with full bolt ons, LTs & xpipe. I've got a dead cylinder and I'm trying to weigh my options. If I need to redo the bottom end I will consider a Stroker kit. My goal is cruising, road course and occasionally a run or two down the drag strip but only want 320-400 RWHP. ( for now lol ) good luck with your process. I will be lurking in the background and following with interest.

If it was mine and road course action is high on the priority level, I'd make it a big inch N/A build hands down. At that point, would be looking to power with a stroked push rod Ford or move over to LS power.

MEANMCHN
    Ya, I was looking at the LSX option, it's a great one for sure, thanks! Any idea on the weight difference between the engines?