Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oily runner #2 only????

Oily runner #2 only????

Hey guys, I just finished rebuilding my 302 a couple weeks ago - hci and supporting mods. Anyways, I have a loud chatter and I'm assuming it's my roller rockers. So I'm taking my upper off to get at the rockers and I notice runner #2 is all greasy/oily.... just #2 all the other ones are bone dry!!! *
    ‎Any ideas as what this could be??? Should I be worried???

Did you use assembly lube and prime the motor prior to start up?
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Does it have oil pressure?

Slope
    Is it the #2 intake rocker you suspect to be the culprit?

Could explain the charge reversion in that runner.

I did use assembly lube and primed prior to startup.
    I'm assuming I have oil pressure as oil is coming from the rockers - is this a correct assumption?
    I put everything back minus the passenger valve cover, shielded the headers from oil and started it up.
    Good news - chatter is rockers hitting valve covers
    Bad news - when I took everything apart again, #2 had a new film of buildup - i wiped it down prior to re-installation.

Bad news - when I took everything apart again, #2 had a new film of buildup - i wiped it down prior to re-installation.

Had a film of build up where? Intake runner? If so, sure the intake valve is not adjusted too tight? Sure lower intake gasket was fully sealed?

Used or new heads? As stated it could be an over adjusted rocker, or lower intake gasket pulling oil from the center valley, could also be a leaking valve/seal or piston rings.

The heads were used. I checked the rocker and it looks the same as the others... when the valve is closed the rocker can move side to side, I'll back it off tomorrow.
    I haven't retorque'd my lower yet so I'll do that too! I'm hoping it's that!

Where are you seeing the oil film / build up?
    Adjustable rockers?

I see build up in my lower intake runner ‎#2 and some of the upper. I wiped everything down and reinstalled, ran for maybe 2 minutes, took the upper off and had wet spots around #2 on my gasket and spacer and inside the #2 intake port again. *
    I also have a strong fuel smell. Could this be oil and fuel? I thought maybe I'm not getting spark at that cylinder and pulled the plug, it is wet. *I haven't tested for spark at #2 yet but I will tonight.
    I'm kinda all over the place and don't know what to focus on. Could a leaky injector cause this? I did notice that my fuel pressure isn't holding. Turn key on, fuel pump prime, pressure goes to 40 and then started to drop. I'm going to clamp it off before the rails and see if it holds, but if it doesn't it's most likely the injectors right? Since nothing is coming out of the fpr vacuum???‎
    ‎Yes my rockers are adjustable
    Things I'll do tonight
    - retorque lower intake
    - test for spark at #2
    - clamp to see if fuel pressure holds
    - reset my rockers*

But if all that is okay... what else could it be? would a compression test help to see if the valve is sitting properly?*
    I'm hoping it's one of the above issues.
    I've been building this car since I bought it 3 years ago, and I'm really feeling defeated and just want to throw in the towel and buy something done lol*
    Thanks for all your suggestions and help! I think it's the forum help that keeps me going!‎