Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBD1 test question

OBD1 test question

Have to bring my 1991 Mustang in for E-test shortly. The only concern I have is that I have a Check Engine Light comes on after 10-15 minutes of driving. Codes it puts out are 41, 91 which refer to the LH and RH Oxygen sensors and running lean, however ZR checked it and the car is not running lean.

Codes only appeared after new Oxygen sensors and some emission sensors were put in including the charcoal canister.

Since the OBD1 testing doesn't hook up to the computer and is only a sniff test, assuming the test results are good, which they should be, will it pass or fail if my check engine light comes on during the test?

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Yes and no, as I've been saying, for sure it's sometimes going lean for a moment or two during warm up but no clear answer as to why. My suggestion has always been to ditch the current MAF for a stocker or go with a calibrated MAF and the 24lb injectors.
    Light started coming on after we removed the 24's and slot style MAF along with chip and returned to stock tune.
    I'd still pull the bulb and go in for the test. May require timing knocked back and a slight bump in idle first.
    Since it otherwise runs amazing with no glitches, if it passes the etest..............ignore it and be happy as few cammed 5.0's run as flawlessly as yours does.

Slope
    What MAF is in this car?

Pro-M 19lb. Stock one got damaged.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang4 View Post
    Pro-M 19lb. Stock one got damaged.
    Is it an early Pro-M?

Got it in 2010.
    Calibrated for cold air in fenderwell, if that really matters, and 19 lb injectors.

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang4 View Post
    Got it in 2010.
    Calibrated for cold air in fenderwell, if that really matters, and 19 lb injectors.
    As mentioned above, I'd be interested to try a known good stock MAF to see how the car behaves once it settles in.

I will try and locate one tomorrow and test it.

Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by Mustang4; 08-18-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Slope
    Does the CEL come on at the exact same time every time you see it. Meaning, is it somewhat systemic when it occurs (time from start up, etc.)

Usually it seems to come on after 15 min or so of driving but once it was like 40 minutes.