Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploding washing machines now?

Club Supporter

Exploding washing machines now?

US regulators warn of potentially exploding washing machines
    No injuries have been reported.

Posted on 9/28/2016 5:09 PM by Dave Bradley
    - See more at: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/201....kiYb02DS.dpuf

There's a world-wide warning out to owners of Samsung washing machines.

The alert from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission says there's a risk, top-loading washing machines could explode.

Several of the explosions have been reported in a number of US states, with one, severe enough that it went through the wall of a garage.

The units affected were made between March of 2011 and April of 2016, but they didn't give specific model numbers.

The company says there may be 'abnormal vibrations' but claims they are working with US regulators to address any potential safety issues.
    - See more at: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/201....kiYb02DS.dpuf

Heard this on the radio tonight, wonder if it the drum fractures and just blows apart like shrapnel?

With the age of them, gotta wonder why it's taken this long to be reported?

They sure don't build things like they used to eh!?

Depends on the appliance. Samsung for example only builds replacement parts for about 3 years. Once they run out parts are no longer available.

Most other brands are better. Manufactures usually claim and life span of 8 to 10 years but a lot of thing can affect this.
    One is maintinence. People have no issue with regular maintenance on their cars but don't think they should have to do the same on their appliances.

The biggest factor in how long an appliance will last is repair cost.
    I tell people any appliance will last as long as your willing to pay to fix it.

30 years ago your fridge was run of a mechanical control. If it failed it was 30 bucks to replace. New fridges are all computer controlled most controls can be between 200 and 300 dollars to replace so if your 8 year old fridge needs a $300 part plus the service call, labour and mileage people reach that point far sooner were they would just rather put that money towards new.

Mustang Occasionally
    The house I moved into came with GE Profile washer/dryer. They look like little silver space ships compared to my old fashioned white Kenmore ones from my last place - ones that were there when I moved in over 13 years ago and never gave me an issue except for the fill level pressure hose coming off - just clipped it back on.

These new ones... Garbage. The washer shreds little pieces of plastic from the tub surround during spin. Now I have to shake out all my clothes before putting them into the crappy dryer that doesn't really dry all that well. The date code (which GE recycles every 12 years) says the they are from 1999 or 2011. Either way, they're gonna get replaced - with old fashioned looking white ones

Sounds like your tub nut is loose. Probably why the dryer isn't drying properly. Because the washer can't spin out all the way.

Pull the agitator
    off and tighten the nut. (Uses a special tool but you can make one really easy.) use a hammer to make sure it's nice and tight.

Samsung is pretty explosive this year lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mustang Occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Sounds like your tub nut is loose. Probably why the dryer isn't drying properly. Because the washer can't spin out all the way.

Pull the agitator
    off and tighten the nut. (Uses a special tool but you can make one really easy.) use a hammer to make sure it's nice and tight.
    You had me at hammer

I hear you Chris. Recently replaced our 25+yr old washer with a new / said to be heavier version. Load it just a hair off perfectly balanced n it threatens to plow through the wall.