Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  89
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The new minimum wage: are jobs being lost?

Burrito Place I go to presumably has minimum wage workers preparing my burrito. January 1st prices went up for my burrito by 50 cents. All the same workers are still there, now when I go in I give them an extra 50 cents and eat my Burrito. Seems to work well

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Experienced operators are getting $30, and you're willing to pay them $25. I don't think this makes you one of the top payers in your industry.
    Excuse me. I did hire people and I did go to $30. Still couldn't find people. This is a mini loader, not a big machine,. This is to dig holes in peoples backyards, not excavate basements.
    The helper only needed to wheel a barrow and brush dirt off the auger (not particularly skilled work), so $18-20 seems reasonable to me.
    And my carpenters, who actually build my decks, make considerably more than that.
    I have to be competitive in my particular industry, and paying $40 an hour to run a small machine puts me out of reach to my customer. That's actually more than I earn.
    Since I'm on this, the construction industry is full of low life scammers, and it is not at all unusual to have some people employing illegals and even kids for 8-10/hr, paying cash under the table, and they are willing to take on jobs for prices that are not even worth the paper to write my quote on.
    Still, I try to pay the best that I can. I have 4 carpenters who have been with me 30 years, 18 years, 7 years and 4 years. I must be doing something right.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    I was running heavy equipment for 10 years and back in the early 2000's I was making $32/hr. The experienced operators I know, are making around $35-40/hr.
    I got a lot of them. They were all union members.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    We went to Joey's last Saturday. It was wonderful. They took our drink orders, we both had a nice French Grenache, then they gave us a free sample of some pork dumplings. They were soooo good we decided to get it as an appetizer. There was a lot of people there and a couple of really annoying kids. Then we ordered our main course. I had a delicious steak cooked to perfection, maybe they use sous-vide? Whatever they did it was great! My wife ordered the Hawaiian Tuna Tacos. We got married in Hawaii. While we were in Hawaii we took a helicopter ride, and we were on a cruise. The food on the cruise was very good but the service was mediocre. It wasn't as good as the cruise we took on the Mediterranean. Anyway, I digress. Joey's didn't seem to be short staffed due to the Liberals increasing the minimum wage. We didn't have desert because we were too full. There was a really annoying group of really old people at the table next to us. When they were done and leaving, one old woman (who was the more mobile of the trio) got up and put her coat on and proceeded to the door were she held it open for the other two. They took their bloody time getting up and dressed, and the entire time the front doors are open and everybody is freezing.

So I recommend Joey's.

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

Company after company after company leaving Ontario the last few years.

The Campbell Soup Company says that it will close its Etobicoke plant, resulting in the elimination of about 380 jobs.
    The plant, which is located on Birmingham Street, first opened in 1931.
    In a news release issued on Wednesday, the company said that it made the decision to close the plant following a review of its manufacturing operations.

PHOTOS

The Campbell Soup Company's Etobicoke plant is shown in this handout photo. The company says it will close the plant within the next 18 months.

The company says that it will continue to operate the plant for up to 18 months while closing it in phases.
    “After a thorough review, we decided this was the best course of action for our business. We are operating in an increasingly challenging environment as our industry's consumer and retail landscapes continue to change dramatically,” Mark Alexander, who is the Campbell Soup Company’s president of Simple Meals and Beverages for the Americas, said in the release. This decision in no way reflects on the talent or dedication of our team at our Toronto facility, and we are committed to assisting them through this difficult transition.”
    The Etobicoke facility actually employs about 600 people; however about 200 of those people work in commercial operations at the Campbell Soup Company’s Canadian headquarters, which will be relocated elsewhere in the Greater Toronto Area.
    In the release, the company said that “site selection” is already underway to find a new location in the GTA.
    Meanwhile, the company says that employees who are laid off due to the closure of the plant will receive “severance packages that recognize their commitment and service” as well as access to “career counseling.”
    “Campbell will also host job fairs and provide on-site financial planning workshops, among other benefits, to assist employees with the transition,” the release states.
    Tory calls news heartbreaking
    In the release, the company said that the Etobicoke plant is one of the oldest in its network and therefor “cannot be retrofit in a way that is competitively viable.”
    News of the closure, however, may still come as a surprise to many longtime employees.
    In a statement, Mayor John Tory said Campbells’s “employed generations of residents in Etobicoke-Lakeshore.”
    "I know today's news is heartbreaking for the hundreds of employees who work at Campbell Canada's Toronto plant,” he said. “On behalf of the people of Toronto, I want to extend sympathy and support to all those who will be personally affected by this closure. The loss of any jobs in our city is tragic – that's why we work so hard to attract businesses and jobs to Toronto.”
    Tory said that he did reach out to Campbell Canada President Ana Dominguez on Wednesday to “offer her any and all help” in assisting the employees affected by the closure.
    He said that he also “made it clear” that he believes Campbell’s planned Canadian headquarters should be located in Toronto and not elsewhere in the region.

stangstevers
    Why would the restaurant owner reduce the dinning experience because of increased costs? That will likely destroy the reputation a lot more than a 20% increase in prices.

And the liberals don’t care about the working poor, they just want to buy votes at the cost of the economy. It’s not a great time to increase cost of doing business with Trump lowering taxes and going to full on protectionist mode. We do not have competent leaders to ride the storm and if there’s a Trump for a 2nd term?

Quote Originally Posted by stangstevers View Post
    Why would the restaurant owner reduce the dinning experience because of increased costs? That will likely destroy the reputation a lot more than a 20% increase in prices. ?
    Can’t say for sure but if I had to guess, it’s not the owner who does the customer experience it’s the staff, it’s the staff that runs to the basement and changes the pop dispensers. It’s the staff that checks back in with customers to make sure they have everything they need.

My bet the owner cut back either benefits of hours and the staff is pissed. So are refusing to do things

I mean if I asked for a refill and the waitress was like well the pop is empty and nooneg has time to run downstairs and get he refills.

So what? You just not gonna serve pop the rest of the night? Instead of sure thing sir. But our dispenser needs a refill I need to go down and grab a cartrged. Be back in ten min.

Club Supporter
    Partially off topic but some overlap to expectation of wages and tie-in to our personal effort. This episode on one of my subscribed podcasts showed up last night - I like Andy and find him entertaining but it's not rocket science and can be a little repetitive at times in the longer episodes...so I listen at 1.5X). Language is NSFW.

http://themfceo.com/three-types-peop...ella-mfceo208/

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Partially off topic but some overlap to expectation of wages and tie-in to our personal effort. This episode on one of my subscribed podcasts showed up last night - I like Andy and find him entertaining but it's not rocket science and can be a little repetitive at times in the longer episodes...so I listen at 1.5X). Language is NSFW.

http://themfceo.com/three-types-peop...ella-mfceo208/
    Very interesting podcast

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    Very interesting podcast
    Yes, it is - been subscribed for about a year I think....plain language guy. He's had a few Ford GTs too (he's on Instagram too). Owns a nutritional products company.