Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Relocation

Battery Relocation

Hey guys,

Thinking of relocating my battery to the trunk (hatch area) on my 89 over the winter for better weight distribution.
    Has anyone done this? What is the best way/kit to accomplish it? I downfalls I should be aware of?

Also, for TMP or St Thomas, will I require an exterior shut off switch? I really don't want to run one but will consider it if I have to.
    It's only a street car that I may take to the drag strip 2 or 3 times a season.

Thanks in advance!

MEANMCHN
    I did one on my 99 GT, but then just switched to a Braille AGM Battery. At 6.9lbs I saved about 40-45lbs on the car (I weighed my stock motorcraft battery and it was 52lbs I believe). It's a noticeable difference, basically saving you the weight of 3/4 tank of gas.

The 6.9lb battery is about the same cost as a battery relocation kit:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Braille-Batter...63922/10002/-1

How are they for normal day to day usage? Any drawbacks compared to the OEM battery? I have a 3g alt upgrade but do have 2 amps in the car that get occasional usage as I leave my sub box out quite a bit.

TheMustangShow
    Wouldn't a lightweight Braille Batt be less of a PITA?

HyperGT
    Must admit when i ran mine I had nothing but charging issues etc. I am sure it can be done properly but I would go with a lightweight battery, less hassle instant rewards and no long cables, cut off switches etc.

Looks like they make them for cars with stereos etc and for daily drivers:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Braille-Batter...22#moreDetails

Can anyone confirm how much a stock battery weighs? I'll have to weigh mine when I take it out.

HyperGT
    35-38lb i would think

MEANMCHN
    I only had one no start issue where the car sat for almost a month between track days (I also believe my alternator is getting on the worn out side and it's not charging as well as it should). Other than that I find it's great. I went on the extreme end and got the 6lb battery, but you can go mid-way for a 12-15lb battery and save significant weight. For the cost of the battery it's a good option. If you don't drive the car a lot like I do (basically just to and from the track), put it on a trickle charger and no worries. I only had to jump the car once and I would've probably had to do it with the motorcraft battery. My motorcraft battery was knocking on around 50lbs, it was insanely heavy compared to the Braille. The Braille is also a dry battery so you don't have to vent it and it can't spill.

Attachment 1963

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    AGM batteries all the way. They don't use fluid per se, its more like a dry cell. You can cut the barrtery in half and it wont spill at all. Plus they are lighter and much more powerful than lead acid batteries. Another plus is they can handle deep cycles like a boss and cope well with storage. An AGM, plus battery relocation to the trunk is not only a weight savings but a hell of a lot safer. You will need to build a respectable battery box that has adequate protection from sparks and a shutoff, but it would be worth it.

Sure it's more pricey, but very worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

I used the universal kit from Summit in my coupe many years ago. I never had any issues with holding a charge or charging or whatever. but now having seen the smaller batteries in this thread, I would have gone that route instead.
    BECAUSE RACECAR