Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Relocation

I am super curious about a lightweight battery, many guys are even running small tractor and motorcycle batteries. Being that my car doesn't see winter, I assume that I can get by with something much smaller?

MEANMCHN
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick_89_Hatch View Post
    I am super curious about a lightweight battery, many guys are even running small tractor and motorcycle batteries. Being that my car doesn't see winter, I assume that I can get by with something much smaller?
    If you want to give it a try you can borrow my battery. I have my last track day on October 16th, then the car goes away. You're more than welcome to see what it's like for a weekend or whatever.

I might just take you up on that! Thanks!

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    A motorcycle battery won't have the cranking amps to turn your car over. Tractor more likely. Foxes need a lot of power to start their super high horsepower motors that have the cylinders coated with Turtle Wax.

Just go for it, you've got nothing to lose. Plus I'm trained in the art of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

MEANMCHN
    Ya, I agree with the motorcycle battery not being up to the job. The Braille battery I have has 590 pulse cranking amps, the motorcraft had 800 and something cold cranking amps. Since you're not driving your car around -15 to -20 and it's not a diesel truck you don't really need a battery that can discharge that many amps for so long. Braille has long been in the racing game and all of the guys I've met at the track with track cars or just looking to save weight go with Braille. That's why I decided on it, peer pressure, everyone's got one. I had no faith that it could start the car but it was worth it to give it a try, and I find the car starts every bit as good as the giant Canadian Tire battery. Pretty much the cheapest way to lose 40lbs on your car.

tulowd
    I bought an Odyssey PC925 several years ago and installed it in the trunk. Claimed weight is 26 lbs. Needed no charging after sitting 2 yrs in garage. pretty amazing.
    I would have gone with a Braille if I wasn't planning on a monstrous 3000W Rockford sound system and need battery juice. This model is the only one I found that fits under the vert roof when retracted, so it's installed between the shock towers for best protection.

Anyone have thoughts on using something smaller like a Civic Battery instead? I'd imagine it's quite a bit lighter?

MEANMCHN
    Any AGM battery will be lighter, but the wet cell batteries are all fairly heavy, regardless of what car it's in.

The odyssey battery is about 26lbs and $198 for a standard size replacement AGM battery.

Odyssey also has a powersports battery that gets as low as 11.4lbs:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Odyssey-Batter...13#moreDetails

Braille has the 6.9lb:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Braille+Battery/147/B106/10002/-1

Basically the same price. Braille is a bit lighter and has higher peak pulse cranking amps. I went full retard when I got the battery and did a lot of research and drove a lot of track cars with the Braille battery so it was an easy sell, especially because the lightweight battery is comparable to the replacement price of a standard battery. It's rarely the case with the lightweight stuff.

TheMustangShow
    Quote Originally Posted by MEANMCHN View Post
    Any AGM battery will be lighter, but the wet cell batteries are all fairly heavy, regardless of what car it's in.

The odyssey battery is about 26lbs and $198 for a standard size replacement AGM battery.

Braille has the 6.9lb:

Basically the same price. Braille is a bit lighter and has higher peak pulse cranking amps. I went full retard when I got the battery and did a lot of research and drove a lot of track cars with the Braille battery so it was an easy sell, especially because the lightweight battery is comparable to the replacement price of a standard battery. It's rarely the case with the lightweight stuff.
    What do you think of the Braille Lithiums, big dollars still but I heard starting in January, there will be a price drop.

CF cases, and mega cranking amps.

Quote Originally Posted by MEANMCHN View Post

Braille has the 6.9lb:

That Braille at 6.9lbs is very tempting. Maybe I can check yours out when I pick up the tires?