Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Battery Relocation

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    When in doubt make it bigger
    That's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbijib View Post
    That's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    any thoughts on running the cable from trunk to starter in the interior rather than external under the car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    That's how I did mine. These pictures are from my Air Lift line install but they show the battery cable routing. In my case the battery relocation was not about weight reduction as I wanted to put a Moroso coolant tank for the HE in the OEM battery location.
    I ran two 1 gauge cables (positive and ground) from the trunk through the cabin passenger side and one 4 gauge positive cable to the starter.
    I'm at the other end of the spectrum as Scott on that one, prefer to see them routed under the car + don't run a ground cable front to rear.
    My 2001 Lincoln LS had a trunk mounted battery and the cable ran through the passenger side of the cabin to the firewall. I though if it was good enough for Lincoln it was good for me. Nothing wrong with properly secured under the floor routing, but the cable will be in the elements.

Agreed it was not necessary to run a ground cable to the front, but I elected to use the OEM ground location in the engine compartment.

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

So just use a kit like this and add a fuse at the battery and an additional engine to chassis ground and done?
    http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Relocation-Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Slick_89_Hatch View Post
    So just use a kit like this and add a fuse at the battery and an additional engine to chassis ground and done?
    http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Relocation-Kit
    I would still put the solenoid in the trunk

I get the solenoid in the trunk idea so the starter cable is dead except when triggered, but what are your gonna run forward to power acc's? I read the "run the rest of the vehicle off the alt" with a small wire to the back to charge the battery. What happens when the alt falters or fails, big amps required from wire that can't handle it and the resulting melted wire and fire? Still stand by not suitable for a street car with acc's.

I get the solenoid in the trunk idea so the starter cable is dead except when triggered, but what are your gonna run forward to power acc's? I read the "run the rest of the vehicle off the alt" with a small wire to the back to charge the battery. What happens when the alt falters or fails, big amps required from wire that can't handle it and the resulting melted wire and fire? Still stand by not suitable for a street car with acc's.
    many cars over the years have had trunk mounted batteries...(European cars mostly from what I recall)

be interesting to find out how they were wired cuz I really dont know

but manufacturers usually err on the side of safety

BMW battery mount. Read on a forum about a recall due to shorting out which in turn cuts engine power. No system that is absolutely fail safe. What some moving the battery to take wt off the front also forget, factoring in the wt of the x tra cable, box and related bits. Gains are not as large as one might think.

As far as cable goes, I already have a 4awg running to the back for my stereo, so once I remove that and add in the cable for the battery weight gain should be very minimal. I am also sure ill be leaving my solenoid in the front.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailites View Post
    many cars over the years have had trunk mounted batteries...(European cars mostly from what I recall)

be interesting to find out how they were wired cuz I really dont know

but manufacturers usually err on the side of safety

read my previous post regarding this