Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Projector/HID/LED headlights for a 4 eye

TurboFox

Projector/HID/LED headlights for a 4 eye

Does anyone know a decent projector for a 4x6 headlight.

Ive seen the hella e-code regular style stuff but I am looking for a legit projector that wont cost me an arm and a leg.

I found this LED headlight which looks like its pretty nice quality.

http://www.xenondepot.com/jw-speaker...00-evo-low.htm
    But I am not prepared to fork over over $1800 CAD for 4 headlights.

Thoughts?????

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    The reason projectors are so expensive is because of the mechanism inside it. For your car I would do the outer beams projector and the highbeams normal. That way it won't look like a spider, AND cost you $1800.

And unless you feel like finding units at a wreckers that will fit and fabbing up your own pieces, you won't find much on the cheap side of the street.

I don't want to know what the headlight units in my Dart cost. Probably as much as the Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

TurboFox
    Outer projectors is fine...but the ones listed would be $800.

I'm not cheap, but I don't like to waste money either so I am looking for something a bit more cost effective

That's the tough part, is knowing whats going to be worth the money. Maybe it would be worth it to get just those projector looking lights... They have the glass and bezel, just not the mechanism. Would be much more cost effective.

There's an LED company called Free Throttle that builds custom LED lights and light bars and such. They're Canadian owned and operated, build everything in house, and might already have something, or at least be able to put something together for you.

Was talking to them at the Supershow in January. Pretty awesome stuff!

What about doing a custom retro fit, I was looking to do that with a spare set I have.
    There are some very small projectors on the market now that make it a lot easier to do.
    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VNhLRvnF98E

tulowd
    I would think that you are looking for better light output, not the look of projectors, since you strike me as a function over form kinda guy. Projector and LED technology are both in their relative infancy in terms of automotive design and applications. Our company works with both types of these light sources, real HID has punch and performance LED cannot yet attain, certainly not at similar price points.

One of the key ingredients is the reflector design, power source and intended purpose. Having said that, my new F150 with OEM projectors has the best headlights and high beams of anything I've ever driven.

In my mind, if the retrofit kit is not fully flexible and fully aim able to both fit your 4x6 and offer the vertical and horizontal beam spreads needed, you are going to spend lots of money for shiat.
    Pretty much any aftermarket HID setup I see is poorly aimed and isn't likely to offer much better output over a properly designed top of the line white halogen lamp(s) with reflector.

First thing your Fox needs is a relay and better ground to ensure the headlights are getting real 12V. Then you could play with different halogen retrofit lamps in the 4x6 cases with glass lenses; possibly run 4 lamps illuminated at 55W ea. That will be a pile of light.

There is a lot of technology that goes into these things, and HELLA makes some of the best automotive lights in the business. I would suggest you look further into their products.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the light from a set of these powered direct off your alt with a relay to trigger.

http://www.dirtyparts.com/store/deta...DLA/pid-122588

If your able to track down a set of new old stock, lights from Cibie or Bosch were #1 and 2 respectively with Hela falling just shy of the second spot. When they were popular, was heavily into the rally car lighting scene. Unique light pattern and sharp cut off line from Cibie was the class of the field.
    At one time, Zephr Mike had an original Cibie headlight alignment machine for sale.

Having said that, my new F150 with OEM projectors has the best headlights and high beams of anything I've ever driven.

Flat out awesome for the person driving it, sux balls for everyone else on the road. Will never support any of the above until such time as the govt mandates an auto leveling system. Might be fine at factory right height with no load, add a levelling kit to the front or perhaps snowmobile in the bed, blinding everyone else on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Having said that, my new F150 with OEM projectors has the best headlights and high beams of anything I've ever driven.

Flat out awesome for the person driving it, sux balls for everyone else on the road. Will never support any of the above until such time as the govt mandates an auto leveling system. Might be fine at factory right height with no load, add a levelling kit to the front or perhaps snowmobile in the bed, blinding everyone else on the road.
    I second that. Trucks are too high to have projectors. The "low" beam is actually at full brightness and it's blinding for everyone else.

That being said, the lights in my Dart are fuckin dim as hell. When I flick on the "highbeam" the light just gets cast higher, and doesnt get any brighter. Which sucks balls cuz it kinda makes it harder to see. Plus it shuts off the foglights.

I want to blind the assholes who leave their highbeams on.