Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Projector/HID/LED headlights for a 4 eye

TurboFox
    Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    I would think that you are looking for better light output, not the look of projectors, since you strike me as a function over form kinda guy. Projector and LED technology are both in their relative infancy in terms of automotive design and applications. Our company works with both types of these light sources, real HID has punch and performance LED cannot yet attain, certainly not at similar price points.

One of the key ingredients is the reflector design, power source and intended purpose. Having said that, my new F150 with OEM projectors has the best headlights and high beams of anything I've ever driven.

In my mind, if the retrofit kit is not fully flexible and fully aim able to both fit your 4x6 and offer the vertical and horizontal beam spreads needed, you are going to spend lots of money for shiat.
    Pretty much any aftermarket HID setup I see is poorly aimed and isn't likely to offer much better output over a properly designed top of the line white halogen lamp(s) with reflector.

First thing your Fox needs is a relay and better ground to ensure the headlights are getting real 12V. Then you could play with different halogen retrofit lamps in the 4x6 cases with glass lenses; possibly run 4 lamps illuminated at 55W ea. That will be a pile of light.

There is a lot of technology that goes into these things, and HELLA makes some of the best automotive lights in the business. I would suggest you look further into their products.
    My headlights are currently getting a lot of juice. I rewired my entire car with a universal harness so I stepped up some of the wiring (particularily for the headlights).

Regular HIDs in a normal 4x6 housing is garbage I get that.

I want a decent cutoff and the projector retrofit MIGHT achieve that. Honestly I have a set of 4x6s with removable H4 bulbs so I am contemplating getting one and giving it a go. The only thing to lose is $270.

This project is still in its infancy for me as I have 10 other things on the go. It might not be worth it but I appreciate all the info in the meantime

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    Eddie (IEATRICE) did the retrofit on his car. Albiet an aeronose, but at least he would have a good grasp on what might work best. I think he used BMW projectors. Maybe an informed trip to a u pull yard would be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

Can't we just get along?? svo1990mustang's Avatar
    HID projector retrofit is probably going to be your best bet for quality of light output, it is quite a bit of work to get it correct though. You will need to find a replacement sealed beam bulb with a clear not facetted lens for your retrofit. The retrofit source is a great place to get HID retrofit parts.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
    "Small cubes and boost makes Darryl something something.............."

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Having said that, my new F150 with OEM projectors has the best headlights and high beams of anything I've ever driven.

Flat out awesome for the person driving it, sux balls for everyone else on the road. Will never support any of the above until such time as the govt mandates an auto leveling system. Might be fine at factory right height with no load, add a levelling kit to the front or perhaps snowmobile in the bed, blinding everyone else on the road.
    Oddly enough have not had anyone flashing me heading my way yet, whether with sled in bed or normal ride height. I think they are aimed correctly - the cutoff is also very crisp and obvious. Maybe Ford has it right - these lights whoop the HIDs on the new Rams; both in performance and the actual color - the Fords are whiter, the Dodges are yellow

With leveling kit, I agree, should get re-aimed. The douches in lifted 4x4's or rusted Hondas with aftermarket HID's are the worst offenders.

The new LED headlights in Europe have some neat exclusions, where they shut off some of the lamps that shine at oncoming vehicles when the car senses another one approaching.

Can't we just get along?? svo1990mustang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbijib View Post
    Eddie (IEATRICE) did the retrofit on his car. Albiet an aeronose, but at least he would have a good grasp on what might work best. I think he used BMW projectors. Maybe an informed trip to a u pull yard would be beneficial
    I'm pretty sure he used TSX projectors

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
    "Small cubes and boost makes Darryl something something.............."

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Oddly enough have not had anyone flashing me heading my way yet, whether with sled in bed or normal ride height. I think they are aimed correctly - the cutoff is also very crisp and obvious. Maybe Ford has it right - these lights whoop the HIDs on the new Rams; both in performance and the actual color - the Fords are whiter, the Dodges are yellow

With leveling kit, I agree, should get re-aimed. The douches in lifted 4x4's or rusted Hondas with aftermarket HID's are the worst offenders.

The new LED headlights in Europe have some neat exclusions, where they shut off some of the lamps that shine at oncoming vehicles when the car senses another one approaching.
    I don't flash the trucks with projectors because I assume that they are on their lowbeam. It's still blinding, but it's assholish to flash someone when they don't have their highbeams on. That being said, those retards in the Hondas, even the ones in the stock 2006+ civics, they need a serious lesson on respect for other drivers and how to use their headlights.

Most of the people with highbeams left on are driving the 06 up Civics, and 2000-2007 Corollas.

Non-projector HID's are painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

Quote Originally Posted by jibbijib View Post
    but it's assholish to flash someone when they don't have their highbeams on.
    If somebody gets 'flashed' when they have their low beams on, then it's because their low beams are too damn bright (OEM or not) and they are blinding other drivers. Asshole needs to take that back to the dealership to get the beams aimed properly.
    -Don____________