Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THROTTLE? Any Value Installing one?

Joe Q Public

THROTTLE? Any Value Installing one?

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of purchasing one of these:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-85...ody-112v6.html

Any CONS to installing a bigger Throttle?

Is there any merit to replacing the Stock Throttle.

Thanks in advance,

Art

Just adding a throttle body or TB for short isn't going to gain you much. Best if paired with the cold air intake and a tune.
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

I would even think that the stock TB is large enough to support several mods. CAI and tune would be the best first mods.
    So, probably no cons other than the hole in your wallet. A TB like that would be necessary IMO until you run boost.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    A lot of the time, if you don't add supporting mods with it, you'll see no gains, or lose power.

As Norm said, a stock TB can handle a few minor mods with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

tulowd
    Methinks the advice below is based on the 5.0 Coyote experience, it is possible the stock MAF is too small for the V6 - given it makes over 300 hp.
    Speak to someone who has modded a V6 TiVCT and see what they say, with some tangible results - 1/4 mile trap speed; but also things like throttle response effect, etc

Its a lot of dough to blow for very little gain or if you aren't going to do anything else to match it down the road.

I've driven several late model V6 Mustangs and they are surprisingly nice to drive and have some jam; more is better, but be sure it doesn't make it ugly to drive without more mods.

I'd suspect you'd see larger gains with a custom tune. Well worth a few minutes on the phone with the sponsor shop in your area to get an idea of the gains you'd expect to see.

MEANMCHN
    Not really a restriction, I run a stock throttle body and upper intake with a supercharger, makes great power.

Roushcharged
    I installed a BBK briefly on my 05 GT, within an hour I changed it back to stock. I can't speak for the performance of it but I found it really stiff if that makes sense? When I'd leave the lights from a full stop it wasn't an easy roll out and accelerate, I literally had to blip the throttle or i'd stall the car. I just couldn't handle the stop and go with the BBK installed so I put the factory one back. It may have just been that particular one? Maybe just me? I'd ask a few guys who have them installed to see what they think. A quick Google search turned this up...... Looks like some good information. Good luck.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/...n-and-exhaust/

Joe Q Public
    Thanks for all the responses. I have a Roush CAI I installed in the Fall. Makes a nice sound at about 2000 RPM. My gas consumption dropped a bit, but I don't know if that is from the cold weather, not driving it like I stole the car as much or it actually did as it was advertised to do.

I was hoping with the CAI and the TB, I might notice a slight improvement in HP. I love my V6 as I do the car, best purchase I have ever made. Always wanted a Mustang and I am delighted with it. I don't really need much more HP, the V6 has more than enough but if I could squeeze a little more for cheap and deepen the sound a bit more... bonus.

TB on a stock V6 with CAI will see no gains, and as stated may lose some power. If you want more power and better sound look into some better flowing mufflers.