Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Installation Tech Tips in here.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar

DIY Installation Tech Tips in here.

So I'm a cheap mofo, and also somewhat capable. This thread is for me and those who want to do relatively simple installs of parts, and want to know the tricks that make life easier. Answered by those who have the experience.

For me I'm looking at doing my stainless steel braided lines plus new brake fluid, and front shocks.

I've done brakes before but I would like to know how to clear all fluid out the best way possible.

Next front shocks. It may seem pretty straight forward but my mind worries about the spindle mount holes. Is there a failsafe way to ensure the new shocks go in as close to the stock position as possible?

Anyone who needs to know stuff can ask here too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

First tip: the front 'shocks' are struts.

When removing the top nut, put a large screw driver in the slot at the top of the strut (that sounded dirty), then use a large wrench to remove the nut. Otherwise the strut will just spin.
    -Don____________

First thing to remember, once you release the upper nut, strut n spring wanna go sailing. Must be adequately supported via the lower control arm. Pair of bolts that mount them to the spindle can be a PITA without an impact gun.
    Lines, very straight forward provided the originals come loose, break a line or strip a nut n yer fubar'd. Same goes for break a bleeder in either a caliper or wheel cylinder.

Jibb...bring her over...you can use the garage...my car is mobile now

you can use my screw drivers & pliers too

Brake fluid needs to be flushed from each corner to remove all old fluid properly.
    Suck old brake fluid out of m/c reservoir and fill with new clean fluid so when you see new fluid at the caliper you know when to stop.
    Hold brake pedal slightly depressed with a pry bar or snow brush etc when replacing flex lines, this closes the system and reduces how much fluid leaks out.

Stainless steel braided lines won`t make the car run better...even if you need new lines I would just get regular replacement lines...but thats me
    My car has bleeders on master cylinder and these must be bled before the ones on the brake calipers.

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    Given that I'll be going around tmp circuit a few times, I don't trust rubber lines. I already have all the parts I'm looking to install lol

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

70XR7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailites View Post
    Jibb...bring her over...you can use the garage...my car is mobile now

you can use my screw drivers & pliers too
    If he takes you up on this, mind if I tag along? the more I learn (even by watching), the better.

My DIY tip, if you're not sure about what your doing, and you are working on something important like brakes or steering, take it to an expert. You're welcome.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbijib View Post
    So I'm a cheap mofo, and also somewhat capable. This thread is for me and those who want to do relatively simple installs of parts, and want to know the tricks that make life easier. Answered by those who have the experience.

For me I'm looking at doing my stainless steel braided lines plus new brake fluid, and front shocks.

I've done brakes before but I would like to know how to clear all fluid out the best way possible.

Next front shocks. It may seem pretty straight forward but my mind worries about the spindle mount holes. Is there a failsafe way to ensure the new shocks go in as close to the stock position as possible?

Anyone who needs to know stuff can ask here too.

Thanks
    I would recommend taking it to Rick for those "front shocks" of yours - those springs can have a nasty surprise if you're not sure of what you're doing.