Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickest way to change release and pilot bearing

Quickest way to change release and pilot bearing

Ok, I'm planning to do my release bearing and pilot bearing this weekend. I have BBK long tube headers and am wondering what would the quickest way possible be? Can I get the tranny out without unbolting the headers? Should I seperate the tranny from the bellhousing first, and then remove the bellhousing? Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, for those of you who have done this, and estimate on time needed would be great. That will determine whether I start it Saturday or Sunday. Thanks in advance.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP jibbijib's Avatar
    I think as long as you pull the driveshaft out you can unbolt the transmisson (supported of course) and unbolt the housing from the back of the motor so you can slide it back. A bit more work than you bargain for but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    if he can pull out and pass a Honda civic, that thing is modded in my books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4You
    I know how to blow trannies!

99chromegt
    ??? Did you lose my cell number?

99chromegt
    We have the identical setup as you know.

It's tight and a PITA

Quote Originally Posted by 99chromegt View Post
    ??? Did you lose my cell number?
    You have a Mustang? lol

T-45's/3650's suck for working with long tubes....start it Saturday, unless of course you have a hoist
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Before attempting to remove the trans n backing yourself into a corner, measure / eay up to be sure trans will come out with headers in place, remove one or both as req'd.
    Suggest Centerforce release bearing, most reliable out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Before attempting to remove the trans n backing yourself into a corner, measure / eay up to be sure trans will come out with headers in place, remove one or both as req'd.
    Suggest Centerforce release bearing, most reliable out there right now.
    Thanks Rick.... I haven't looked yet, but is it possible to remove the transmission easily, leaving the bell housing still mounted to the motor, then removing the bell housing separately? Or are the bolts that fasten the bell housing to the transmission put in from inside the bell housing?

Unfortunately, most can only be removed with trans / bellhousing as one piece, yes bolt together from the front side backwards. One saving grace of the larger / more awkward T56, separates from the bellhousing making things much more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Unfortunately, most can only be removed with trans / bellhousing as one piece, yes bolt together from the front side backwards. One saving grace of the larger / more awkward T56, separates from the bellhousing making things much more manageable.
    Well, I'll start tomorrow after work, and hopefully have it done for 2pm Saturday for my alignment appointment. lol..... I've got a tubular K-member so I'm hoping it should go relatively smooth. Thanks for the advice.